Just acquired M548

Philliphastings

Hello all,

Having previously owned, restored and operated Centurion, Stuart, Caterpillar D4, Bren, Scout and 2Pdr carriers I have always hoped to own a member of the M113 Family of vehicles.

I operated these back in the 80s while serving in the Australian Regular Army and so when an opportunity recently arose I jumped at it.

The vehicle is an ex British Rapier resupply vehicle imported into Australia about 15 or so years ago (I wanted to buy it then too)

It has been modified by having the rear body sides cut away and a few other parts removed but otherwise should be a very straight forward project to return it to in-service condition once painted.

I can't post pics direct onto HMVF but I'm happy to email them if somebody on here would like to post them up for me

Cheers

Phill

Hello all,

Having previously owned, restored and operated Centurion, Stuart, Caterpillar D4, Bren, Scout and 2Pdr carriers I have always hoped to own a member of the M113 Family of vehicles.

I operated these back in the 80s while serving in the Australian Regular Army and so when an opportunity recently arose I jumped at it.

The vehicle is an ex British Rapier resupply vehicle imported into Australia about 15 or so years ago (I wanted to buy it then too)

It has been modified by having the rear body sides cut away and a few other parts removed but otherwise should be a very straight forward project to return it to in-service condition once painted.

I can't post pics direct onto HMVF but I'm happy to email them if somebody on here would like to post them up for me

Cheers

Phill

I can post them for you.

Just PM me for my emailadres

Thanks Olaf,

Although there is a lot missing and some major welding and fabrication involved in getting the rear hull back in order, it does start, run, steer and drive fairly well so is well worth restoring.

By cutting out the sides of the hull it has weakened it enough for the integral fuel tank to fracture and leak. I guess the PO thought it was a good idea at the time but a quick look through the manual could have saved a lot of unnecessary modification which eventually led to the machine being pensioned off. ( too leaky and becoming a maintenance burden)

More pics as the restoration progresses

Cheers

Phill