Y Service web site

Tony B

Yes the WC54, A closed vehicle I've a photo of No 6 SLU they had two WC54 a WC64 and a German Staff car. The SLU's were the units that recived the 'Product' from Bletcxhley in a diffrent Cypher, then dechyphired and passed the info onto the officers cleard to recive it.

A lot of care was taken to ensure that the scource of ULTRA information was disgused to prevent any any hint of where it came from.

I've a hypothosis that Rudolf Roessler's Lucy Spy Ring was a front to pass certain ULTRA information to Stalin, again in a disgused form.

slu cd.jpg

Edited by Tony B

There is a interesting book I read recently , the book describes the MI6 operations , it details the mobile MI6 units . They used Guy Ant Wireless Vans and modified US 3/4 Ton Dodge WC Ambulances . The unit also used Packard sedans . Their job was to disseminate the Y intercepts to the Generals in the field . One MI6 mobile unit followed Patton around and the intercepts were hand delivered , each car had its own special wireless sets, these were hand built by the MI6 workshops

Secret Wireless War, The: The Story of MI6 Communications 1939-1945

Pidgeon, Geoffrey

UPSO, London

ISBN: 1843752522

Pages:

Format: Hardcover

It seems one of the Packards came up for auction back in Feb 2007. It's probably still about. http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/Classic-Cars/Previous-results-holding-page/Blackbushe---Monday-19th-Febru/1938-Packard-Eight-120-Sedan/&iact=mrc&uact=8

10 68