Just Had That Dreaded Call from Withams

Grumpy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We bid on some Harley MT350 motorbikes once and never got anything and the bids were fair. I think if the bid isn't high enough they hold it back and re-submit it next time. :dunno:

That - at first glance - seems a bit unethical if no reserve price is stated in the auction listing????

still waiting for them to publish the results of the auction before this one :whistle:

Richard if the last auction was October then the results are on the site now.

http://www.witham-sv.com/tenderresults.php

That - at first glance - seems a bit unethical if no reserve price is stated in the auction listing????

Cant be 100% that is what they do but next time someone is up there they can always ask.

As far as I know all of the stuff in the sale has a minimum sales price, which is the least the MoD will take for it. Remember Withams don't own all the stuff they sell, most of it is owned by the MoD. The way to tell is by looking at the stickers with the stock numbr on, e.g. SV688, T1234 etc. If the sticker is blue it is owned by the MoD, if it is red Withams own it. If the bids are close I think they let the item go, if it is way off then they hold it back untill next time.

Chris

I will get a picture of the data plate on ours when we go to Withams to collect it. You can see the red plate just visable to the right of the draw bar in the picture Grumpy posted. I may be wrong but i am sure it has Brockhouse printed on it. :dunno:

These have wheel arches so they might be a later type with a wider track?

What like this one?

width=491 height=800http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/RubOwen01.jpg[/img]

Now thats very close, but the draw bar is slightly diffrent and the battery / side lockers are not quite so promidant on ours, pretty sure its Brockhouse on the data plate, should we picking it up early next week (before the tax runs out on the truck :|) so will post the details.

Neil you don't need to get rid of the caravan, most of the insides can be reused fitting out your Brockhouse, and the shell can then be used as stores, problem solved :whistle:

Now thats very close, but the draw bar is slightly diffrent and the battery / side lockers are not quite so promidant on ours, pretty sure its Brockhouse on the data plate, should we picking it up early next week (before the tax runs out on the truck :|) so will post the details.

Yes interested to see that esp if it has the asset code on it. The one I just posted was a Rubery Owen. Would be nice to have one of these, have you seen any at sales, very rare.

width=319 height=217http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/ICtrailer.jpg[/img]

Now thats interesting, with outriggers like that do I take it that something big pops out of the roof :naughty: - are those air conditioning condensing units on the back?

Radio?

Radar?

Indigo Corkscrew a radar that replaced Yellow River. Note how not only must it be stable, but it must be level, as you can see the road slopes. The front has cooling bit like on my FV2505G (Yellow Fever) full of thermionic valves must have got very hot.

Never bothered to read all the terms & conditions but more often than not tender documents have wording somewhere along the lines of "the seller may decline any or all offers made and does not bind themselves to sell any item "

Never bothered to read all the terms & conditions but more often than not tender documents have wording somewhere along the lines of "the seller may decline any or all offers made and does not bind themselves to sell any item "

Thanks Dave - thats a nice little cop-out for them!!!!

Just been over to Withams and had a read of the various T&C's but I'm too tired & frazzled to make much sense of it , couldn't actually see those sort of phrases but there do seem to be quite a few let outs in there so they don't necessarily have to let stuff go . But if you have bid on something they say that if you phone them they will divulge the winning price etc

Sorry Richard ! Umm.....well.....I'm not sure. Reading the online tender form I'd say that once you're registered with them and submit that form with your bids that's it . But elsewhere it speaks about completing the postal form and submitting that .Sorry , that's not very helpful is it ? Fink I going to go beddybyes my head hurts

Thats more like the one I am going to get the only difference is mine will have 4 windows down each side and 2 in the front with 1 in the rear door so should be nice and bright inside. Will be good to see whats on the data plate to. Thanks for the pic Clive.

Thats more like the one I am going to get the only difference is mine will have 4 windows down each side and 2 in the front with 1 in the rear door so should be nice and bright inside. Will be good to see whats on the data plate to. Thanks for the pic Clive.

does it look like one of these?

width=320 height=248http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/FV2502V.jpg[/img]

width=320 height=242http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/FV2502A.jpg[/img]

and what about the above?? :dunno: please

We usually bid on line no problems, just fill in the form and press submit, only problem is sometimes you end up with six sankey wide tracks :roll: (and yes I know GKN didn't make any wide tracks - thanks Clive :bow:)

The only thing you cant do on line is conditional bid, that needs to be done on paper, but you can fax it over instead of posting, if you do want to place conditional bids its always wise to call Paul and ask first just in case.

As said earlier some of the items belong to Withams that were bought at Government auctions (not open to the public) and some items belong to the Government (not just the MOD). All will have a reserve price which will be either set by Withams or the Government. The reserve price is usually quite low, but remember the scrap value is quite high at the moment. Around here you can get £90 per ton for heavy and around £150 per ton for armored stuff, so if you think you can buy a 432 for £500 forget it because its worth over £2000 in scrap.

If you are very close to the reserve Withams will usually call and ask if you want to up your bid slightly to secure the item. If you didn't win something and the results show a lower winning bid than you placed just give them a call, in our experience they are really nice people that will go out of their way to help you even if you are not a a dealer spending 10's of £1000's with them

Ian, yes that looks ideal with all those windows so was this a Commanders Caravan maybe? Of the those two pics I posted the top one is a Commanders Caravan of 1956. The other application might have been a repair workshop? I have a picture of a trailer based Tailoring Serice which has 4 windows each side. But there was a range of repair trailers that would need good light. See http://www.hmvf.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2836.0

Although the EMERs I have for 2-ton 4-whld are Sentinel or Rubery Owen. Eqpt Codes Regulations of 1964 list all vehicles & trailers with the manufacturer there is nothing in that class attributed to Brockhouse. I have FVRDE books 1954, 1956, 1962, 1966, 1971 & 1981 & no mention of Brockhouse in that class. BUT a 1974 Catalogue of Army Coded Publications lists AC No.60976 as a 2-ton 4-whld trailer chassis from Brockhouse!