Fast Attack Vehicles in the British Army

Longshaor

I've been reading up on a dune buggy guru from California named Bob Chenowth and his connection to the US Army's M1040 and M1041 Fast Attack Vehicles (and the later SEAL Desert Patrol Vehicles) and came across a reference to the British Army having purchased a small number of these for the BAOR around 1988 or so. I've only found two photos though, both of FAVs with the Royal Green Jackets. Can anyone shed some more light on the British Army's use & view of these odd vehicles?

Thanks in advance!

FAV

http://www.scribd.com/doc/44422295/War-Vol-4-No-47-From-www-jgokey-com

I would have to thumb through a few books where IIRC they are mentioned, ISTR the British Army FAV's were similar with a few differences to the Chenowth (I think the civilian sales used the name Chenowth and it rubbed off on to the military version) . I forget exactly - IIRC they were in fact manufactured by a Australian firms UK outlet - KAM differentials. Also ISTR the SAS used them in the first Gulf War (Op. Granby)

Just remembered , it was known as "The Longline" LSV (Light strike vehicle) , goooogle around the word Longline (manufacturer) , ISTR they were tied up with KAM , or was it "the longline" was a military version with a stretched space frame to strap more kit on / improve handling & weapon platform ?

http://www.warwheels.net/LSVINDEX.html

It seems the Longline was in fact manufactred by Ricardo - that makes sence , however I still think earlier types were something to do with KAM

Edited by ruxy
amd.

From what know these longline produced them in brighton

(1.9 vw turbo diesel engine was usd)

About 25 were made

Sas used them in 1st gulf war but ditched them early on as the grounded out on the terrain too often

( theres a regiment pic and they are flanked by lsv s )

Not just used by sas

There were different mk's (look at radiator positions)

This info is all from my memory and might not be right

I did have longline promo leaflet somewhere with facts n figures on if that helps?