Tiger 100's

Ron

I thought I'd share this for those haven't seen them. Impressed Tiger 100's which were mostly supplied to the Home Guard I think. Although I have seen a picture of at least one overseas. (Middle East). These Home Guard boys must have thought all their birthdays had come at once!

Ron

Scan-120807-0001.jpg

Evidence reveals that these machines went over to France with the BEF (plus some came back.....!)......there exist photos of BEF troops arriving back in the UK, several on Triumph twins......

Sufficient of these models remained in WD service (up to 41 I think) to be featured as a machine worthy of military workshop servicing in that well-known wartime publication by the "Motor Cycle" / "Motor Cycling" magazine "Hints & Tips on the Servicing of WD Motor Cycles"........:-D

I brought the subject up because a friend said he saw a lovely WD panel tank OHV Triumph twin at W&P. ( I missed it). I'd like to know what info or provenance the owner has!! Ron

It was there last year as well, only this year pannier frames had been added - a shame in my opinion - and for some reason I keep forgetting to look at the frame number. The engine is 1938 but the gearbox number dates to around 1940, so who knows. Whatever, it's a wonderful machine.

OK Stef I missed it last year also. My one day trips to W&P don't allow enough time to see everything. I did own and restore a 1938 Speedtwin so hence my interest. Since I don't think any frame number records exist for these WD Triumph twins, I'm guessing that it's just made up. Unless the owner has some provenance of course. Ron

Thanks for the pictures Stef although I haven't received your PM. Or perhaps I'm not looking in the right place?

I could be wrong but I thought the 38 engines had the six stud barrels which were improved to eight stud for 39. It seems a strange thing to paint a lovely Amaranth red and chrome bike in Olive drab on a whim. I'd love to talk to the owner some time.

Mind you there is a bloke with a Military BSA C11 which he claims is original WD.......But it isn't.

Ron

All of the Triumph production records were lost in the bombing so there are no details of any pre- or early-war production.

This looks like a Triumph twin parked outside the Officers' Café. I think that it's once again a 2nd BEF / Cherbourg area photograph.

Scannen0001-4.jpg

You're right, Ron. They do look nice in red. (photo pinched from Patrick Negro's 'Motos Militaires') It would seem to be Campbell's personal machine.

Scannen-2-1.jpg

Edited by 79x100
Additional photo

Ron,

Thought you might be interested in a couple of photos I took of the Speed twin last year. I've sent you the engine and g/box numbers via P.M.

Cheers,

Stef

Stef I have just read your PM. I didn't get an email telling me it was there?

I am still a bit baffled with this bike. As Rik stated. "No frame and engine numbers survive for this period" But unless my eyes are deceiving me the engine in the pictures you posted has an 8 stud cylinder barrel which was introduced for the 1939 model year following the Tiger 100 practice. (all 38 Speedtwin engines had the weaker 6 stud fixings)

The engine number you noted as 8-5T-9315 (8=1938) The 1939 model year started in Nov 1938 and the engines were pre fixed 9-5T......Strange?

Ron

Edited by Ron

Ron,

As you say, the crankcases are definitely 8 stud. I was intruiged by this as well, but the crankcase doesn't look as if it's been ground down and the numbers seemed original. Unfortunately I haven't seen enough '38 Speed Twins to notice if any others have the '39 set up. I suppose that it's not beyond the realms of fantasy that the bike grenaded it's engine early on in it's life and the Service Dept. installed new crankcases with the original numbers stamped on, It was a common enough practice at Triumphs as regards frames, so I don't suppose that it would have been any different with engines.

I don't have the '38 Spare parts catalogue, because consulting that would almost certainly lay to rest whether any 8 stud cylinders were used prior to to '39 season. Triumph spares catalogues were the best in the industry as far as I'm concerned, and gave (nearly) every mid season modification plus frame (or engine) number changeover points.

Like I said, I'm amazed at myself for not jotting down the frame number (for two years on the trot to boot), but I was probably lugging around some Morris bits at the time....

Regards,

Stef

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just came across this picture in the Dutch archives (NIHM):

Triumph_Speed_Twin_Stoottroepen.jpg

Picture taken in erly 1945, "KP" on the front number plate stands for "Knokploeg" or raiding party, from the Dutch resistance, photo caption says Stoottroepen (sort af a Dutch Commando force, attached to the Canadian 1st Army), in Brabant.

Think this must have been captured from the Germans, as it has German silencers, so could be ex B.E.F. survived the war well I would say!

Cheers,

Lex