Fordson WOT6 Airportable

T.Watts

I understood the term 'Airportable', I just couldn't think of an Allied transport that anything that big could fit into! I know it was possible to fit two Jeeps into one of the British gliders, so that must have been the target aircraft, was the Hamlicar the larger or smaller British glider? As it was the 3.6 a 21 stud flathead would be fine.

Bigger

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/unitedkingdom/aircraft/glider/general-aircraft-hamilcar.asp

http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=7035

Edited by ferrettkitt

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the various information, I may have to invest in one of the manuals.

Have decided on an engine, I have had a measure up and a fordson 4d engine should fit nicely plus I have three in the shed, only problem being that they all need rebuilding!!! Will probably fit a thames trader gearbox as well because it will fit straight on the 4d engine. I have a 4 speed trader gearbox but a 5 speed one would be nice if anybody knows the whereabouts of one?

also took the gmc out at the weekend, and developed a misfire on the way home, bloomin truck does not like hot weather :cry:

Have decided on an engine, I have had a measure up and a fordson 4d engine should fit nicely plus I have three in the shed, only problem being that they all need rebuilding!!! Will probably fit a thames trader gearbox as well because it will fit straight on the 4d engine. I have a 4 speed trader gearbox but a 5 speed one would be nice if anybody knows the whereabouts of one?

Great to hear you saved this rare truck, but please reconsider putting in a diesel engine. The Ford V8 is really what it should have, if you cannot find a wartime one a postwar French one will fit. You could pick up a delapitated SUMB truck, salvage the V8 and sell the rest for spares/scrap to recoup the cost. Most likely cheaper than rebuilding a diesel engine which no doubt will have lead a hard life.

Just my 2 cents worth ... keep cracking on in the meantime :thumbsup:

Edited by mcspool

• 2 weeks later...

Not much done on the truck lately sadly, harvest hours at work and still working on finding an engine. I want to go diesel to make the truck a bit more useable and able to do a few of the further away shows from where I live without busting the bank, have considered lpg but I seem to have a thing against for some reason!

Now i'm not much of a landrover person, someone will hopefully spot this and help me out :help: but I am now thinking of fitting a 300tdi discovery/defender engine and probably the gearbox with it, any views on what this may go like? making the engine fit dosn't bother me, just how well it will drive/pull!!!

• 1 month later...

Resumed work on the WOT6 today after bit of a gap due to harvest hours at work,

the rest of the cab has now been removed along with the fuel tank, spare wheel carrier and steering box.

There is a bit of rot and filler in the lower half of the cab to sort out but it doesn't look to bad to do, and still undecided on the engine, thinking of either a perkins 4236 or 4cyl thames trader engine but am unsure whether I will loose speed due to the fact that the v8 would have run a lot faster than old old diesel!!

21102012335.jpg

Although I am getting quite a nice heap of bits I have taken off now :D

21102012331.jpg

21102012333.jpg

21102012341.jpg

21102012337.jpg

Well done Tom good to see you are getting on well with the truck, are you taking the body off as well or are you going to work around that. I have not been on a vehicle my self since buying the new property, busy trying to get it all sorted so that I can start work again. Catch up soon.

Regards Howard.

good to see it under cover and being worked on, it broke my heart seeing it everyday on my drive rusting away and unloved so i'm glad you ended up with it. by the way i still have a handful of spares i need to give you, are you going to the next militaria fair ?

rick

yes the body should hopefully be coming off this weekend, there isn't too much holding it on so shouldn't be to bad to take off. Engine is deffo going to be a ford 4d now as have located an adaptor to bolt it straight to the origanal gearbox. I have heard about a few ford cmp's with 4d's in that have been sucesful, but i dont know how much of the geartrain the wot6 shares with it appart from gearbox? Any one shed any light on this? So fingers crossed a 4d will have enough go in it to get decent speed on the road!

So fingers crossed a 4d will have enough go in it to get decent speed on the road!

4D v. V8 ........ former will give you economy and later will give you speed ......... not sure you will get both with a 4D, doubtful it would achieve the same revs as a V8. The chap to talk to is Tom Bewick in Scotland, he used to drive Ford CMP with a diesel all over the show, not seen him for a few years but I'm sure someone on here could put you in touch with him.

Thanks richard, the adaptor plate i have got for it is a proper ford thing so they must have used the gearbox with a 4d at some point so fingers crossed it will work ok :D

Have spent the weekend up the farm on the truck and have made a bit of progress, the body is now off and next job is to try hanging the engine in it and see what engine mounts need to be made

27102012342.jpg

28102012343.jpg

Found a bit of rot in the floor when trying to unbolt the mud guards from the wheel boxes!!!

28102012345.jpg

28102012346.jpg

• 2 months later...

Have done a bit of work on the WOT over the Christmas break, I spied a bit of filler in the bottom half of the cab and decided to investigate what was under it before it gets shotblasted, luckily for me the filler was hiding the welds from where new panels have been welded in, at least it wasn't rot!!

22122012394 - Copy.jpg

The yellow parts of the cab show where I have ground the filler/paint back to bare metal.

22122012395 - Copy.jpg

The cab has had four new corners welded in, with a bit of tidying up they should be fine

22122012396 - Copy.jpg

24122012398 - Copy.jpg

also picked up the engine, decided on a 200tdi landrover discovery engine, have started to couple it to the gearbox and it isn't going to be as bad a job as I first thought :D

27122012399 - Copy.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Not a lot done lately, plan is to get the engine and gearbox fitted, put the cab back on and try it out before removing everything and shotblasting it all.

Made a start on joining up the engine and gearbox, need to fit a new pilot bearing to the flywheel, get a different clutch plate and make the bellhousing adaptor

26012013451.jpg

26012013452.jpg

26012013455.jpg

• 1 year later...

After a long absence I have resumed work on the Wot, have welded up the door bottoms and nearly finished the bell housing.

a clutch plate has been made from a combination of a series 3 landrover and fordson major clutch. Hopefully the engine should be in within the next week or two and then to test how it drives!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The bellhousing is finished and the engine and gearbox are now in the truck. Surprisingly the engine and chassis needed no modifications and everything fitted. Should hopefully have the new engine mounts bolted on tomorrow.

The bonnet in the cab will have to be extensively modified to cover the turbo and injection pump, probably make a complete new one.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The engine mounts are now finished and the engine is now bolted in properly, the clutch by some kind of miracle works!!

Test fitted the cab this evening, surprisingly not a lot needs to be modified, just part the floor alongside the injection pump

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes I'm curious as to what the 200tdi will go like as well. On paper it should be more powerful than the v8, the problem I was having when choosing an engine was finding a diesel that would rev high enough to achieve the same road speed as the v8. To do 40mph from memory the engine will be revving at aprox 2300rpm, so within range for the 200tdi.Thanks for the tip about the defender timing case, think will leave the disco one on it as on bit of a tight time scale!!

The table as you call it was painted with Gas Detector paint so the driver could see it if it changed colour.

I could never follow the logic, as it was a gas 'detection' would a driver see the panel change colour just before he collapsed, overcome by the gas! If he was wearing a gas mask anyway, why bother with the gas detection panel!

Or am I over thinking this. :shocked:

jh

I could never follow the logic, as it was a gas 'detection' would a driver see the panel change colour just before he collapsed, overcome by the gas! If he was wearing a gas mask anyway, why bother with the gas detection panel!

The plate is to catch the liquid droplets and react to it before it before it enters your cab... Mask in Nine....

jh

At least it gave you some extra space to put your tools, or your cup ;)

trevor