Fordson WOT6 Airportable

T.Watts

Finally retrieved the Wot6 from Manchester yesterday, after many phone calls and confusion with haulage firms I decided to run our own lorry up to Manchester to collect it.

04082012258.jpg

after a 15 mile detour around Manchester due to road works we got it loaded with the help of the tractor and set off for the 200 odd mile trip back to Rattlesden.

The truck now sits in a shed on the airfield awaiting restoration, first job is to remove the cab and find a suitable engine as it does not currently have one. The plan is to hopefully find a 4.2 litre toyota landcruiser engine as it could considerably hurt my bank balance running it with the v8 in it, although it is very tempting!! :D

Right thats all for now and here are a few pics of it,

and thanks to Rik for putting up with the hassle of the lorries and helping load it!!

04082012261.jpg

05082012262.jpg

05082012263.jpg

05082012265.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Tom

Thats a great looking truck and a real nice project, a word of warning on that diesel conversion, they are a nice engine, but I do know if you fit them into a GMC, you do have to remove the sump and cut it about, this is due to it fowling up on the front Diff. Why not measure up and see if you can put in a GMC straight six Petrol engine, you still get a nice note from one of them, not quite the same as a V8 though.Let me know when you are about and are come and have a shifty.

great dealing with you tom, a real easy transaction (you'd make a great ebayer) :D

as for the engine that is entirely upto you to decide but the original v8 that i removed from it to fit in my carrier will be available once the new 24 stud is ready to go in somtime around xmas. it's only my opinion but i reckon if you intend to use it regulary then chuck a diesel in, if it's just for going to the odd show then put it back to it's original v8.

all the best

rick

David

Are you going on the saturday and camping over or just thr sunday for a day trip.

Howard

Evening Howard,

we will be along on the saturday afternoon all being well and a fair wind !

hope the weather`s ok! sunburn or drowning...i wonder!!

Dave

Made a start on the truck today, took the doors off along with the wings and the tin work from the interior of the cab, aiming to have the cab off so that i can start welding it up and get some idea of how much room i'v got for a replacement engine.

the V8 is very tempting, but dont think my pocket would stick it, running the GMC alone is bad enough on apprentice wages!!!

06082012269.jpg

06082012273.jpg

06082012271.jpg

06082012276.jpg

sorry about the quality of the pics, those pesky americans didn't think about putting in decent lights when they built the airfield :D

Tom,

Very nice to see the truck back on the forum. I have sent Ricks ad to a number of people hoping someone would bring the truck home.

When it comes to engine conversions I would go with Ajmac......fit a V8 with LPG; indeed plenty of room to fit the gas tank(s)....and plenty of ways to camouflage it. I you can't find a cheap genuine engine, maybe a french V8 is an option(?)

Alex

Edited by Alex van de Wetering

That's the spirit, dive in!

Could you give us a brief round up on the WOT6, I know absolutely nothing about them, when they were made, what they were designed to do and for whom..... Many questions. Air portable.... what....In a glider? What version of flathead v8 were they originally fitted with? 3.6 or 3.9 litre. What an abortion of a paragraph!

I must be honest that rebuilding Flatheads isn't cheap, my 3.6litre was in very good condition but even that old girl has set me back over £1200 so far, mainly in parts. That does include purchase price, but even so, if it had needed to be rebored and the crank ground I bet it would be touching £1800.

Edited by ajmac

Took the top of the cab and some other bits and pieces off last night, also found the hand throttle lurking behind the fuel tank!!!

07082012279.jpg

07082012281.jpg

07082012282.jpg

07082012283.jpg

ajmac, I know about as much as you!! This is my first british vehicle and I am trying to find out about it as I go along, have only really dealt with American vehicles before :D

Who can spot the B17 parts in the pictures??

yep that is correct!! I thought that the B17 engine was in the photo as well but now I look again it didn't quite make it in, you can just see the bottom of the engine stand in the top left corner of the second photo

yep that is correct!! I thought that the B17 engine was in the photo as well but now I look again it didn't quite make it in, you can just see the bottom of the engine stand in the top left corner of the second photo

All of which just makes me wonder what you are doing with a very British truck :D:D:D

That's the spirit, dive in!

Could you give us a brief round up on the WOT6, I know absolutely nothing about them, when they were made, what they were designed to do and for whom..... Many questions. Air portable.... what....In a glider? What version of flathead v8 were they originally fitted with? 3.6 or 3.9 litre. What an abortion of a paragraph!

It's a 3.6 litre. Air-portable normally means that the top of the cab unbolts so it's easy to fit in a glider or transport aircraft.

It's a 3.6 litre. Air-portable normally means that the top of the cab unbolts so it's easy to fit in a glider or transport aircraft.

I understood the term 'Airportable', I just couldn't think of an Allied transport that anything that big could fit into! I know it was possible to fit two Jeeps into one of the British gliders, so that must have been the target aircraft, was the Hamlicar the larger or smaller British glider? As it was the 3.6 a 21 stud flathead would be fine.