Ariel Square Four, used by the Wehrmacht

welbike

Blimey Lex, I bet they couldn't believe their luck! Certainly not a military bike. Either it was already on the Continent or maybe impressed and captured. Ron

Not very hard to capture; just follow it until the rear cylinders overheated and seized.!!!!

It's often an eye-opener to see the variety of bikes impressed into German military usage, the majority of which were acquired following the fall of the low countries and France in 1940......the German's appear to have run the refurbishment of such vehicles with typical efficiency, in many cases with NSKK units tasked to deal with the jobs en-mass..........and British bikes apart, large numbers of French and Belgian machines were also utilised.......

After 1941 a great number of impressed bikes and other vehicles of all descriptions went east following the invasion of Russia.......the majority remained there....

Ah Yes Steve, but also after Dunkirk hundreds and hundreds of french garages were set to work to get the bikes, cars and trucks running again, have seen many pictures of that in the Koblenz nat. archives in Germany.

And with most of the spare parts captured too, it was not too difficult to rebuild the seized engines.

Cheers,

Lex

• 10 years later...

On the other foot, I've travelled pillion on a 'civilian' version of a German bike (a DKW) which was pirated for a Dutch company to get round Nazi restrictions just pre-war. Wirh a larger bore (125c.c.) rhan the German original, the same lightweight bike was militarised for British forces and could be airdropped (I think): it was known as the "Flying Flea".

We had a second-hand civilian one, registered in 1947 and which lasted until a crankshaft bearing-failure in about 1962. Those bikes must be extinct today, apart from an odd army-museum example.

John, the story is a bit more complicated, but you got the gist! first there was the RT100 DKW, then the Royal Baby, and then the Flying Flea, as it happens I have all 3 of them, but the Royal Baby still unrestored, of that one there are only maybe 5 survivors.

Cheers,

Lex

b7ddab60-1592-416b-b4f3-147eb378b1c8.jpg

24022012239.jpg

002.jpg

• Like 2