DR research - which books?

Jack

Jack,

An old boy who lived near me, now sadly passed away, was involved with DR bikes in the signals in N. Africa, he wrote a book of his exploits, see this link;

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/author/jack-dienst/

Jack still rode a Norton 16H and later a Matchless G3L up in to his Eighties and attended local MV events.

That book by Ken Messenger, "The Winged Wheel Patch", although about Canadian DR's, is FULL of personal accounts of experiences of DR's in WW2 in Canada, the UK, Europe and Italy.....plus tons of great photos.......it's sadly now long out of print and copies seem to be hugely pricey when available.......

At one point in my life, I had around 33 WD bikes.......about 6 up and running and the rest pending......I was constantly flicking between any number of them, but not really getting anywhere.......

It dawned upon me one particular day, when going out on a run, that I couldn't decide on what to ride..........

After getting my head together, it dawned upon me that I'd put accumulation above my actual pleasure......

So I seriously had a purge............nowadays, I'm down to a running Ariel and Norton, plus a James ML project........and that's proven more than enough to keep on top of....!!! After all, I only manage to use the running examples barely a few times each per year........

I am fortunate enough to have the means to top up my numbers should I choose.......but I've elected not to........Mrs M loves the bikes, but I hark back to her words "Do you need it.....? No...? Then there's your answer...........".........wise words from the compact one......

Am I more in focus now....? I think so........:-D

Edited by wdbikemad

Not showing off Jack. Just answered your question. My hobby is collecting and restoring back to as near factory correct as I can. I only keep about three on the road........Running out of room, time, money and willpower though. Ron

Not showing off Jack. Just answered your question. My hobby is collecting and restoring back to as near factory correct as I can. I only keep about three on the road........Running out of room, time, money and willpower though. Ron

Mrs Ron must really love you - your Interflora bill must be massive :shocked:

Nah! She just thinks I'm looking after them for mates. She swears blind that they all look exactly the same.

You'll find out soon enough Jack. As any motorcyclist will confirm. It's absolutely impossible to have just one bike in the shed.

Ron

Could be Jack. I'm trying to win the lottery so's I can buy a small farm yard with a f*ck off big barn and spread everything out more.

It's my experience that guys with such premisses take them for granted. They'll have a barn that I'd give my eye teeth for and then put a rusty tractor and a lame cow in it.......Gizzit!

Ron

Id have to agree that yours is more museum-orientated Ron, well, a working one to be more specific ! Plus you compliment it with vehicles, artillery, posters, etc, not just bikes.......

In my case it got to a workshop, two very overcrowded garages and the remainder under tarpaulins....that's when it dawned on me "what am I doing...?".....as my facilities never quite matched my big ambitions....!!!:-D