Stretcher harness

phil.c

As far back as stretchers have been used. Not a stupid answer, I was taught as a St John's Ambulance cadet how to use rope to secure a casualty. We did a lot of sailing on Jersey! :D Anywhere the casualty has to be taken out of enclosed area or through a window, tunnel, up or down ladders, you need to secure them. I also had a folding stretcher/harness on my 101. That was designed to take into restricted areas to bring a casualty out. Even in the 1890's you see a similar sort of harness used on animal ambulances. The current design dates back to at least the end of WW2, just the material changes.

We always had them in the g1098 stores , but never used them or indeed wanted to use them , the thought of a casualty strapped to a stretcher filled us with dread , incase the unthinkable happened and dropped them then they would not be able to even put a hand/arm out to save themselves, used the rescue harness for confined spaces more to extract casualties more

Jamie

Partly depends on the stretcher your using. These are for the classic fold in half canvas types or the wire mesh based hard type. Those more or less went out of British use with the last of the ambulance 101's in the late 1990's. Modern designs of stretcher have the restraints built into the design, so I'd think these are obsolecent now if not obsolete.