Hi All

Can anyone please tell me, what there diamond t Hercules RXC sounds like when starting from cold. Reason being l have just gone through my diamond T engine and rebuilt it and untill warmed up she sound abit clackity. (if that is a word):red:

I will try and post some pics of it, If any one is struggling for spares for the Diamond t I have a fair bit.

IMG_2554.jpg

Hello;

They do have a bit of a "bark" to them. The original muffler was the size of a large coffee can is the best way I can describe it. Ironically, the Ward LaFrance which has a smaller engine, 501 c.i. compared to the 529 c.i. of the Hercules has a far larger muffler.

Being a solid lifter engine they will a clatiky sound, you might have the valves adjusted a little to loose, however, loose is better than to tight.

John G

Edited by 42 chevy

Hi John

Thanks for coming back to me, l understand from what you are saying. l have tryed looking for some videos on youtube of any starting or running, and it seems to be limited or none?

Has your Diamond T got the oringinal engine in, if so how do you find your fuel consumption to be? l have only really got to the stage of finding air leaks with soapy water. l tested my air brakes from after being stripped and reassembled and to get normal air pressure l used a gallon of fuel!( this was due to about 9 air leaks). I did find after l had retightened the leaks the air pressure went up in no time.:red:(Bit cheaper on fuel).

Michael;

I have not driven my much but expect to go through a gallon of fuel in about 20 minutes just idling. If you want to talk about excessive fuel consumption, a Ward LaFrance goes through fuel alot quicker than a Diamond T. I have attached a link to a youtube video and you can get a an idea of the "orginal" sound from the Diamond T cargo truck that passes by.

John G

This one does not sound too bad, but the operator should have let the truck warm up first.

Edited by 42 chevy

Hi

I know when I was running my 975a, its was quite load, and as the other guy said the silencer was very small for the size of the engine. But she did run very well, but she did drink the fuel some what.The main reason why I sadly had to sell her.But was a great sounding truck.

Regards Howard

Hi All

l have tonight had a look in the parts manual, the silencer which l have got is wrong. The main down pipe from the manifold is correct, but it looks like I'm on the hunt for a silencer box and the end muffler pipe. Does anybody know where to get one?

Im hoping to take her to Normandy 2014 so I think l better start making a fuel fund?:-)

Michael;

I have an NOS muffler on my truck. I found a company, UNITED Muffler who are located in CANADA, that can reporduce the muffler, using mine as a pattern. I have considered having a few made in either aluminized steel or stainless.

I don't know if you have noticed, but the inlet is 3 inches and the outlet is 2 inches, however, the inlet and outlet on the Ward LaFrance is 3 inches and it is a larger muffler and is considerbly quiter than the Diamond T.

Oh, and just in case your wondering what a Detriot Diesel sounds like in a Diamond T. Hearing protection recommended!

John G

P.S. I don't now what shipping costs would be to your side of the world

Edited by 42 chevy

Hi John

That guy Driving in the youtube vid is some driver!Thanks, Could l trouble you to send me the Dimentions of the Silencer and the tail pipe? lve got a couple of contacts in the exhaust system trade so fingers crossed l can get on made. Out of interest do you Know how many baffles the have put in the silencer box?

Cheers

Michael;

I can get dimensions, however, I do no know the amount of baffles, but I can see straight through the muffler. I will let UNITED muffler tell how many baffles. As far as the tailpipe, it goes straight back, makes a 90 degree bend and stops when it reaches the end of the R/F mud guard. It is supposed to be on the wheel side of the mudguard. I am going to have a muffler shop make one up when I get the truck on the road so I can take it there and they can test and fit with the truck on site.

John G

• 7 years later...