1985 Trials PLCE Ammo Pouch Variations.

Scotch Harry

It is not surprising that there are more than one variant of the 85 pattern trial PLCE webbing, though I must admit I hadn't seen the smaller-flapped version of the ammo pouches before........

I have however, seen two different versions of the trial PLCE shovel carrier.......different fittings on the rear basically.....

The purpose of the trial sets was to test the suitability of the design.......no doubt slightly differing versions of individual items were made as part of the trial......

I still need a trial yoke to get my set together......I have the pouches, shovel cover, belt(s) and bergen with side pouches......but to date the yoke eludes me........>:(

It is not surprising that there are more than one variant of the 85 pattern trial PLCE webbing, though I must admit I hadn't seen the smaller-flapped version of the ammo pouches before........

I have however, seen two different versions of the trial PLCE shovel carrier.......different fittings on the rear basically.....

The purpose of the trial sets was to test the suitability of the design.......no doubt slightly differing versions of individual items were made as part of the trial......

I still need a trial yoke to get my set together......I have the pouches, shovel cover, belt(s) and bergen with side pouches......but to date the yoke eludes me........>:(

Im opposite,as I already have 2 of the small flapped pouches(now 3) it was the other type I hadnt seen until now and typical for that one to have no or faded markings:mad:

My set of trials webbing is only lacking a Waterbottle pouch and yoke for the Bergen side pockets then im done.

Shame we don't have spares or a deal may be done.......:-D Am I right in saying that the trial PLCE side pocket yoke was a simple "A" frame arrangement.....? I had two spare mint examples dated 85 until very recently......and found at Sabre Sales !!!!

Edited by wdbikemad

I may have a couple of pieces people are after. While sitting in the Normandy '44 bar tent at Beltring this year (we had bought a drink or two), a friend was sorting out some British kit he had been given by a mutual friend. Out comes some PLCE kit and I believe they are a trials yoke and water bottle pouch. Both are dated 1985 and appear to be different from the standard issue PLCE. Could be wrong...

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Resurrecting this thread... is the male fastex clip on the RH ammo pouch the same size as the issue ones found on the PLCE scabbard frogs? It has been removed on my pouch and I was thinking of transplanting one back on.

It would also be really helpful if someone could show a close up pic or two of how the clip is sewn onto the pouch.:)

Cheers,

Mark

The clip does indeed fit the PLCE bayonet scabbard/frog (the weapon roughly pre-dating the trial PLCE set by a few years)............I would post some pics but my stash of pouches are currently buried in storage 30 miles away.......in the meantime have you looked at Howlett's book on Post War British Web Equipment....? There may be some good illustrations there....?

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...