Another Triumph 3hw Question

The Garrison

Hi all

I have a friend just starting a restoration on a Triumph 3hw and since i am more of an Indian man we were wondering if anyone has any information about contract numbers etc. Any info just to add to the resto would be greatly appreciated.

Chassis number is 58125

Engine number is 59329

Thanks in advance

Frame number TL58125 is from the very last contract S6680 which was for 8000 machines Feb44- Sept45, but was reduced to 5200 bikes. I calculate that this is the 4708th machine and would have had tank census number C6106125. There is probably a frame build date on the frame under the saddle which will read TEC (Triumph Engineering Co) with a date something like 944 (Sept 1944).

Engine number 3HW 59329 is from a slightly earlier contract S5340 June44-Oct44.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow! She looks great!

I am currently restoring mine, I just took her for the first run around an airfield because I am missing the registration cert at the moment. I am going to try to post a video clip to Youtube and copy a link on here somewhere but it put such a huge smile on my face!

I notice you have pretty much replaced all the nuts, I am struggling with working out the old sizes etc because sadly my engineering background was all metric. Where did you source all of your fastners?

Thanks again for posting, she really does look beautiful!

Matt.

Hi Matt.

I restored this bike for a friend and actually not many fastenings were replaced. After removing all the years of paint and grime they were in very good shape. A few burred edges were repaired and there you have it. We have not a bad supply of UNF and UNC stuff over here still and whatever i can't source i can turn up on the lathe.

Good luck with your project, would be good to see some pictures.

I just haven't got around to painting the nuts and boltheads yet. I prefer to leave them unpainted for the first few months or 100 miles. Then things can be checked, tightened and painted. The owner has been tripping round on another bike so i will probably prep them when he returns.

Edited by The Garrison

Adam did you use one of those Ozzy sheep dogs to pen them up like that?

Mat The fixings for your Triumph will be mostly BSC (British Cycle Thread) 26 TPI. The most common sizes you will need are 1/4" and 5/16" and some 3/8" all in different lengths. There are a few larger ones ie 7/16" and 1/2". Screws for the cases into ally will be 1/4" BSW (whitworth). The bikes left the factory with all fixings and levers etc in a dull plated finish (Cadmium, mat chrome/nickel etc). Most Brit bikes also had a dull plated exhaust ........Although 3HW's were black.

You can buy English made cycle thread fixings quite cheap off Nooky. http://www.nookysnuts.com/ They are correctly made with a bearing side to the nuts and no makers name on the bolt heads. They are zinc plated. Nooky attends the usual jumbles around the south and sells them in pre packed bags at £1 a bag. The smaller the fixing the more you get. But he now has this website with mail order Ron