Reporting Live from W&P 2012

Marmite!!

for re enactment i can understand it. same as i can understand harsh feelings against it.

how fun would a battle be when there aint a enemy there to fight against?

germans told me if they would dress up in a ss uniform he would get shot in his country. i told him to get over it, the war was something of our grand dads. i even pointed out that of all hand guns i shot, the luger p08 was the nicest to shoot with.

as for a uniform and me? well... my dad and me got a 101fc ambulance fairly kitted out as it left the army, he did service in canada and can have his uniform with two stripes like he had then, i never served and never will thanks to unable to go thanks of education, and now disability. i wont wear it as i don't deserve to wear it. we all do what we like to do and if someone that never did do service and dresses up like an officer, it aint offencive to me. (partly cous little details give it away he did not served) as for the war and peace, its not only living history, also for clubs i thought.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"germans told me if they would dress up in a ss uniform he would get shot in his country. i told him to get over it, the war was something of our grand dads"

Try telling that to the Jewish community !

rnixartillery..................................................

"germans told me if they would dress up in a ss uniform he would get shot in his country. i told him to get over it, the war was something of our grand dads"

Try telling that to the Jewish community !

rnixartillery..................................................

In the Netherlands SS re-enacment is forbidden or at least not allowed.

German Army is allowed but members are screened AFAIK.

Ignoring the re-enactment bit, it would be interesting to have a bit of a natter over why the vehicles/restoration/engineering side of the hobby seems to be losing popularity in proportion to other aspects of the hobby.

I can't blame people for focusing on the popular bits, but it seems to be getting difficult to find traders and autojumble type stuff.

It's probably more noticeable at War and Peace because that has been the main event on the calender. Perhaps if there's enough of us we can get the organisers to make a "restoration retreat" area of the show to try and re-invigorate things. Maybe an exhibitors lounge type area so it's a focused marketplace for the traders.

Ignoring the re-enactment bit, it would be interesting to have a bit of a natter over why the vehicles/restoration/engineering side of the hobby seems to be losing popularity in proportion to other aspects of the hobby.

I can't blame people for focusing on the popular bits, but it seems to be getting difficult to find traders and autojumble type stuff.

It's probably more noticeable at War and Peace because that has been the main event on the calender. Perhaps if there's enough of us we can get the organisers to make a "restoration retreat" area of the show to try and re-invigorate things. Maybe an exhibitors lounge type area so it's a focused marketplace for the traders.

I noticed last year there seemed to be a move of traders towards "memorabilia" rather than vehicle parts. I'm assuming this is driven by money more than anything else.

Andy

I think the reason for the increase in the re-enactment side of the hobby is down to cost,it is not cheap anymore to pick up an old wreck and restore it especially with the incease in value for War time vehicles,shortage has also pushed the cost up.

Buying a uniform and some webbing and throwing it in the back of the car is a damn site cheaper than running a vehicle but there are those that do both !

Unfortunately over the past 25 years I have been on the MV scene the best years have gone in my view,there are less people now restoring than there was in the late eighties and nineties.

Rob......................rnixartillery.

• 8 months later...

A trifle late some might say - but here is the report on the 2012 show from the German news channel N24 - its a trifle long at 43 minutes and all in German but if you listen carefully you can hear what the people interviewed are actually saying.

A familiar face at 28 minutes needs to smile for the camera!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J66qIfAD5H8#

A trifle late some might say - but here is the report on the 2012 show from the German news channel N24 - its a trifle long at 43 minutes and all in German but if you listen carefully you can hear what the people interviewed are actually saying.

A familiar face at 28 minutes needs to smile for the camera!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J66qIfAD5H8#

That was my best smile face, dont get any better :D

It would be nice to say that it was an unbiased view of us and our hobby, but as i have no idea what they are saying who can tell. I did notice that they seemed to dwell a lot on shots of kids in Uniform, kids with guns, kids in SS Uniform, pretty girls, pretty girls in SS uniform, an Elvis impersonator, mud wrestling and a female Elvis impersonating mud wrestler in SS uniform. So there we go, no doubt an unbiased view of us and our hobby there then. We do it because we can and we certainly wouldnt be allowed to do it if Hitler had won the war. I hope they made that clear to the German TV audience but somehow i expect they forgot to mention it.