Wartime Bikes

jamesb0551

Hello Gents

wanting to take on a resto project one idea would be a wartime bike, pref Military one

does anyone know which models were used i know they used the Norton and the James 125cc which other were used (British or commonwealth please)

Cheers

james

All production from 1940-1945 was focused on military motorcycles. Go on line and see if you can buy a copy of 'British Forces Motorcycles 1925-45'..... Ariel, BSA. Matchless, Norton, Royal Enfield, Triumph, Velocette and more. Ron

Second-hand copies of Orchard & Madden's "Bible" are available on Abebooks for less than £20. If you regard that as expensive, then I don't think that you should be considering the purchase and restoration of any old vehicle. They're money-pits and motorcycles are no exception if you want to do it properly.

Any restoration should start with thorough research and useful as they are, internet forums are no substitute for the better published literature.

Hello Gents

wanting to take on a resto project one idea would be a wartime bike, pref Military one

does anyone know which models were used i know they used the Norton and the James 125cc which other were used (British or commonwealth please)

Cheers

james

Hi James, just done exactly the same thing myself. Wanted a wartime bike, decided on Triumph and researched what they made for the war effort. I had never even heard of a Triumph 3HW!

All the best for your quest, hope you have as much fun as me!!!

andy

Cheers Agmerlin

yes i know a few blokes that collect so ill have a chat with them when i can and see whats about, the idea is to do dispatch rider or provost at more urban reenacting events when it seems silly to be walking around in full kit dennison,webbing, Bren etc

Ron i may buy one but if a mate has a copy i can borrow ill do that.

79X100

lol , i merely said £32 was steep for a book if i can borrow it i will. I have spent £55 on a book on the first canadian para reg before so it wont be the most expensive one in my collection, and im well used to spending up for my hobby i spent £255 on a tailored Dennison smock etc must have spent around £2000 reenacting by now.

Edited by jamesb0551

Are you in UK James? What area? Maybe I can point you to someone for a look see? Nothing like being a DR! Beats walking.

Ron

Yes I am, live in west Yorkshire but go to shows all over the country (mainly up north), should be at war and peace and hopefully the victory show if your darn sarth ;)

Yep, that's dan souf to us. Poole actually so couldn't get much soufer. Well there will be a few WW2 bikes on display at W&P and most guys are happy to talk about their vehicles. You could also have a look at the BSA WD M20 site, where you can talk about or ask questions about any WD bike. You have 2 years to get prepared for our DR tour in 2014 (70th) in Normandy. Were we are hoping to beat our Guinness record of 144 allied motorcycles in 2009 with at least 200. http://www.wdbsa.nl/Henk.htm

Ron

Edited by Ron

As you are in W Yorks you might find a bike or two turning up to the Meltham Memories do in a couple of Saturdays time, but that is just a guess on my part. Might make it myself but it isnt definite at the moment. I'll be glad to chat bikes if you collar me, as will most owners. 'Over the hill' to Saddleworth in August will definitely have few in attendance and some of us will be making the trek to Stanford Leicestershire for the Taverners Founders Day event at the end of July. The theme this year is military motorcycles so if there aren't any there then you might as well give up! :-)

As has been mentioned dont expect a bike to be a cheap alternative to a 4 wheel vehicle but dont be put off. Wartime bikes tend to attract quite a premium over their comparable civilian counterparts. If you get one sorted (preferably by doing as much of the work as you personnally can, that way you know it has been done properly) then you will have a vehicle that will run well, be reliable and do pretty much what you want and above all else be a whole load of fun in its own right irrespective of the re-enacting side of things. In my experience dont expect too much help from collectors of classic and vintage machines. For the most part, in 40 years of biking, I've found they tend to be a bit disdainful of military models so you will find more help on such forums as this and the WDM20 site refered to - a v.useful forum. All the best in your search.