Ariel W/NG Pannier Frame fitment

van der Linde

i ordered a rear rack from terry at metal magic,received it a couple of months ago to find it didnt fit,looked like an indian copy,anyway i have sent these back to terry at least 7-8 weeks ago and i still havent received the right rear rack,to be fair terry is trying to sort this out but when you pay top dollar you expect parts to be half right.

I have had a "Terry" rack on my W/NG for the last 15-odd years.......it was initially difficult to fit, but ONLY because at the time I was using a repro rear mudguard.........when I last rebuilt her, I replaced the copy rear with an original.....and the carrier fitted perfectly..........

To be fair, Terry makes his parts using original items as the master.....and he does go to enormous lengths to ensure accuracy, even driving many miles to measure-up original fittings if he hasn't got them to hand.......but I can quote from personal experience in having had some NOS BSA and Norton original fittings that were a complete bugger to line-up and fit..........

All I can add is that Terry is a reliable and competent craftsman of the "old school".......he won't let you down, but as they say, "Rome wasn't built in a day"..........do give him time, and a gentle reminder, and I can assure you he will sort the matter out from what I know of him (and I've known Terry for over 20 years !!).....:)

Yep me too. I first met Terry over 20 years ago. He is brilliant at his metal craft but can be dead scatty when it comes to keeping drawings and patterns. He often phones me for measurements because he has foolishly sold his pattern or lost a drawing. He once drove to my house to take Velo mudguard measurements......and promptly lost the bit of paper before he got home.....Bless!

He's well over 70 now and can't go on for ever. Lets hope Drew is a chip off the old block. Ron