Normandy 2014

rampant rivet

Hi again John. After re reading your last post, I think you may have misunderstood my comments. When I said you are free to bring your BM to Normandy.....I meant just that! After all, 'It's a free country'... But our tour and ride outs are strictly for Allied forces machines. It's all in the original booking on information. Ron

Hi Ron,

No problem. Of course I could paint it green and put a star on it or blue and put roundels on it !!!:-D

Regards,

John

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Ron,

No problem. Of course I could paint it green and put a star on it or blue and put roundels on it !!!:-D

Regards,

John

You could, John but I've heard that the organisers have stocked up with tar and feathers so personally, I wouldn't risk it....:-)

Yes John. The last bloke thought that he was eligible because his BMW was in Dutch markings. But the rules were, and are quite specific! All machines must be of Allied manufacture and presented in reasonably correct livery. In 2009 we also had to exclude a bloke who booked in and turned up for the Guinness run on a wartime Matchless that had been civilised and painted shiny red and chrome.

As the pub landlord would say...."You have to have rules! Otherwise where would you be?"

Ron

Thanks guys,

I can't wait to see all the allied bikes there, it should be a marvelous sight. I'll try and meet up with you all at some point (sans BMW) and I'll try to find an axis vehicle convoy to go with.

Unaware as I am of the sensitivity of axis vehicles in France - do the French not encourage axis vehicles? Not wishing to take this thread from its original purpose so apologies to all.

Regards,

John

John, it matters not a jot to me and lots of others about Axis vehicles. After all it is all part of the history. However I have seen people getting upset about the presence of guys in German uniforms, especially the SS.

A few years ago a group of Danish re-enactors arrived in St Mere Eglise on an NSU Kettenkrad and dressed as SS troops. Some French locals got into an argument with them and the police were called. There was no hesitation! These blokes were bundled into the back of a van and they and their Kettenkrad were taken outside of town with a promise of prosecution if they returned.

Unbelievably they turned up the next day in the same attire at the military fair in the village of Ver Ville, but they were booed out of the village. They just refused to drop the SS image?????

Ron

John, it matters not a jot to me and lots of others about Axis vehicles. After all it is all part of the history. However I have seen people getting upset about the presence of guys in German uniforms, especially the SS.

A few years ago a group of Danish re-enactors arrived in St Mere Eglise on an NSU Kettenkrad and dressed as SS troops. Some French locals got into an argument with them and the police were called. There was no hesitation! These blokes were bundled into the back of a van and they and their Kettenkrad were taken outside of town with a promise of prosecution if they returned.

Unbelievably they turned up the next day in the same attire at the military fair in the village of Ver Ville, but they were booed out of the village. They just refused to drop the SS image?????

Ron

To be honest Ron I would have been 'helping' them put them into the van too. My uncle who was in the KRRC in Normandy told me some nasty stories about his experiences with the SS.

I'm more into the Steve McQueen - Great Escape re enacting, especially as I'm his double ( I wish).

Neither of my bikes is liveried up with any unit markings for that reason.

Regards

John