Foden US Yankee Division steam mobile delousing vehicle

Blackhawk

This Foden steam delouising vehicle is unit marked YD, the US 26th Yankee Division. The crew is assisted by German prisoners in one of the pictures. The 101st Sanitation Train was part of the 26th Division which arrived in France September 21, 1917.

WW1 US vehicle.jpg

YD1.JPG

YD 2.JPG

How many of these were in US Army service? Do you know how they were ultimately disposed if?

Ten of the Foden delousing vehicles were bought for $1745 each in 1919 and sent with the American Polish Relief Expedition 1919-1921. "Typhus and Doughboys" ebooks may be read free online by a google search. There are many pictures and descriptions of the epidemic.Fodens in Poland.JPG

Fodens in Poland 1.JPG

Edited by Blackhawk

Herewith copy of an advertising card from the Thresher Disinfector Co. mounted on a Foden steam wagon . According to the monthly census of Mechanical Vehicles of the British Empire Forces there were some 98 of these disinfectors 'in stock' at 16th November 1918, by November 1919 there were only 9.

Foden ST.jpg

Richard Peskett.

An interesting order list there: when you think of Foden-Thresh disinfectors, it's the Foden steam lorry mounted versions that come to mind - the type shown in the previous posts. I was unaware of horse-drawn versions; and surprising that they are only marginally cheaper than the 'motorised' ones. And why would a fixed version be more expensive still? (I'm assumiong it's all second-hand gear that was bought.)

Anyone have pictures of these other types?

Edited by Runflat

All a horse drawn one would save is the transmissiom. The Foden's boiler would serve a dual purpose drive and disinfect. I presume a fixed unit would need a building and ancillirys attached. There must have ben a support vehicle for fuel water etc for the mobiles.

Yes, this is all the surplus AEF equipement being disposed of. Strange that they appear to be selling it to themselves, but i guess that the Polish relief commission is a different Government body. Just an internal accounting adjustment. Here is a photo of a British horse drawn disenfector in service with the US Army.

disenfector.jpg

• 8 years later...