new matador owner needs help please

scammell 7377

a freind of mine has recently purchased a 1947 matador it came from someone who bought it straight from the enviroment agency he would like to know if it was new to them or there predesesser or may it have gone to the mod first ? it has never been to a rally so photos of it are rare the only one weve found is of it involved in an accident in a kent village with a trojan van we are hoping you may be able to shed some light on it reg is fvb 689 chassis no 08535230 thanks in anticipation andy

Hi Andy, this chassis No would suggest early 1943. I have one with chassis no 5696 which has been confirmed with its build sheet as May 1943. I think it would have gone to the MoD from the factory.

Hope this helps,

ian

Hi Andy, this chassis No would suggest early 1943. I have one with chassis no 5696 which has been confirmed with its build sheet as May 1943. I think it would have gone to the MoD from the factory.

Hope this helps,

ian

yes thanks ian we got 1947 from the date of first reg so new in early 43 and demobbed around 25 july 1947 from where can we obtain the build sheets?it would be good to see them as it has no body or crane so itll be good to see how it left the factory it does have the winch and m ounts of a hiab/ atlas type crane andy

Andy, you need to contact the british and commercial vehicle museum on 01772 451011 or

email enquires@bcvm.co.uk

King street,

leyland

Lancashire

PR25 2LE

This museum has the AEC records although some records were lost around 1940. The museum is not open all the time and from memory monday or Thursday is worth a try. It will also cost about £20 (only take cheques) but it is worth it. I sent an email with all the matador info I had and a few weeks later build sheets in the post once cheque received.

Good luck,

Ian

• 2 months later...

as promised an update

the archives officer is a part time volenteer and getting to speak to him was a task however once conntact was made he was very helpfull they have records for any of the leyland group so scammall eastern body works ect once they had my payment 2 days later it turned up if you need to contact them ask for ron phillips but only phone on a monday morning

a freind of mine has recently purchased a 1947 matador it came from someone who bought it straight from the enviroment agency he would like to know if it was new to them or there predesesser or may it have gone to the mod first ? it has never been to a rally so photos of it are rare the only one weve found is of it involved in an accident in a kent village with a trojan van we are hoping you may be able to shed some light on it reg is fvb 689 chassis no 08535230 thanks in anticipation andy

Would not have been the Environment Agency as they did not exist before 1996.

Prior to that they were the NRA (National Rivers Authority) but they only existed from 1989.

Prior to that we had Regional Water Authorities from 1975

Before that we had River Boards from 1948.

So your Matador predates those and must have had an interesting career.

Mike

ok we know it was new to ministry of supply march 43 the phot copy of the order was illegable so i called and they have written it down for us under the extras or speical fittings it says

westinghouse direct air brakes

warnertrailer brake 4209 gf

winch gear cable v902

cav self strarter

side lamp and nearside headlamp

front drawbar

laminated spring type

towing bar

fascia board with oil pressure gauge

air pressure gauge

tecalmet fuel filter

triple rad cover

oil bath air cleaner

sadly we dont know the body type ther is none fitted at the mo my mate ,the owner wants to know the body type to recrteate it there is the remains of mountings for a atlas type crane we have only found 1 photo on the net asa mentioned above but not at all clear what type it says envirment agency as the previous owner on the log book the bcvm records have kent river board pencilled in if any one can shed any further light it will be most welcomecivvey reg is fvb 689 its thought to have not been seen at a rally or show oh and its use for the river board was tpo tow a bulldozer about only going out of service when the driver retirerd i wont have net access for a week or so ill reply to anything you gauys can combe up with then many thankes andy