matchless G3L

guy66

And I thought you were a Triumph man! Edward Turner will be turning in his grave.......Well done and good luck. See you at W&P.

Ron

Hello Ron , yes I am into triumph's but cold not let slip this bargain.

If you find me a triumph 3TW I always want to swap!!!!:whistle:

The Matchless is from 1943.

Yes it was found in Belgium, Someone with a big collection of military stuff is selling out bit by bit on it came out of his collection.

Was last road registered in 1974 and think it must have been standing some 30 years without use.

Guy

Since the motorcycle threads seemed to have dried up! I thought I'd post a picture of my newly fitted, correct but horrible G3L levers. I had to force myself to remove the lovely brass solid levers that have been on the bike for years. Ron

G3L 047.jpg

Hi Ron, can you take some close up pictures of the holding clamps and the levers on the handlebar.

At fist glance at my levers and fittings I was not sure if this is the original set up.

Will take some pictures and post them this evening.

Guy

The one's shown in Ron's photo are the early G3L version, complete with the lightweight pressed levers peculiar to that model......the remainder of the assembly is standard Bowden, as also fitted to the G3 although 1" in the case of the latter......this set-up was only fitted to G3L's up to 1942-ish......

1942-44 saw a mix of Bowden (with solid and pressed lever blades) or Amal, the latter "individual" fittings rather than combination.......the Amal type Air & Mag levers were of the mid-war pattern with the lower "hinged" type fixing clamps.......many Amal components were fitted to Miller-electrics equipped machines........ (often a "A" or "B" next to the engine number to indicate the original type of kit fitted)......

1944 onwards saw the adoption of "universal" pattern controls, that were individual items but based on the earlier Amal type but now with separate screw-affixed attachment clamps.....

As with most things in wartime, supply situations and workshop rebuilds could see any pattern of controls in use.....

Interesting comments Steve, and I'd appreciate your further information. My G3L has frame number 20399, which is from the first contract I believe. I purchased the bike from the family of a fellow local MVT club member (Norman) who sadly died about 7 years ago.( I have stencilled his name on the bike in his memory) As far as I know he had owned the bike for 25-30 years, and was not the type of bloke to change anything.....Just maintain and ride!!

These are the nice levers that were on it and which I have just removed. In your opinion are these levers just something that have been acquired since the war? Am I now correct with the pressed steel type?

Regards Ron......and congratulations BTW!

G3L 048.jpg

The NOS "pressed" levers as shown in your first image Ron, are correct for at least the first two G3L contracts......the solid type in image 2 (if 7/8ths size) are correct for most later G3L's up to at least 1944 (unless Miller-equipped in which case controls were Amal).......

There are several other differences on early (first two contract) G3L's......most of which are illustrated in the parts books......these include rear frame, mudguards, forks, fuel tank, etc..........I had an early 1st contract G3L, luckily still fitted with most of the early parts.......but I know of at least a couple more that although 1st contract bear little, if any, of the early fittings, no doubt the result of military workshop rebuilds since the war..........some G3L's were still around in the 1960s....

Thanks for the congrats ! Wedding to Vee went wonderfully.......:D

Thanks Steve. I think my bike also bears little resemblance to it's early specification and was probably modified throughout it's WD life. I'll ponder the lever issue, but probably leave it as it is now....No arguing that the pressed type are G3L!

I bet you didn't save me some cake? Ron