Reporting live from A&E 2012

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its already been said but what a great weekend, it wouldnt be possiable without Chef Ives and team, all the DRs who gave us a smooth convoy run, the wrecker crews and I surpose I had better thank Jack as well :)

Roll on 2014

Drove down overnight overnight towing a trailer with the already sick Weasel on board arriving on site sixish Wednesday morning to find the guys from Wearside already set up. Within a short time one of them came over to offer a cuppa and subsequently help with putting up the tent which was borrowed and I was not familiar with. Thanks guys. Texts all day from Jack to say he was on his way always followed a few minutes later by 'sorry delayed', I think it was close to 7pm when he finally made it:-). During the day the loos arrived and were sited and one or two participants including Olaf (Enigma) also arrived, Olaf and I later repaired to the pub in Maiden Newton for a meal.

Heavy overnight rain was followed by very thick mist on Thursday morning and it was very scary exiting the site to go to Dorc to meet Jack , visibility was no more than 20-30 yards and vehicles, some without lights , were travelling at 60 to 70mph. By the time we returned to site heavy rain had started so it was on with the waterproofs and wellies and gate duties 'til about nine when I again went to Maiden Newton to eat. Not much sleep Thursday night, last arrivals were 2 artics with armour at 3am and the heavy rain continued for most of the night.

Friday , a very busy day with arrivals but managed to find time to give the Weasel a run as there had been no time to test it before leaving home, within a couple of hundred yards it was obvious that it was broke with a capital F so had to find a seat for Saturdays convoy, Dave had the cookhouse up and running so no need to go to the pub.

Up early Saturday to be ready for the big day only to be told just before we left that my seat was no longer available so did arse end charlie with the Land Rover dealing with breakdowns of which there were very few considering the age of the vehicles which reflects great credit on the owners. Due to running at the back the chances of ever getting any food at the pub in Martinstown looked very slim but we (the 3 mechanics) eventually got a butty at the farm shop. The run from Martinstown to Dorc was surprisingly trouble free after after reports of a serious accident en route and possible long delays proved to be erroneous. Space was at a premium in Dorc and caused a few initial problems but with a bit of muscle a few vehicles were moved and every body squeezed in.

Malteser (Don R) was the first customer on the return run, some little oik had kindly adjusted his choke lever resulting in an oiled plug but he was quickly sorted and on his way, no more than a couple of hundred yards and Tootall Mike was stationery with Adrian S's Ward wrecker due to it's inability to retain it's water. After a number of stops and various attempts at a cure we finally made it back to the camp somewhat later than everyone else. Another superb meal from Dave and his team was followed by a bottle of whisky shared with the Wearside guys and after with others in the Cubes luxury accommodation. Another wet and very windy night followed which resulted in me being flooded in the tent for the third time, thanks to the cubes I had dry bedding but everything else was wet.

As I had no seat for the Weymouth trip Sunday was a chill out and packing day mostly spent around the kitchen area with Dave and Jeff until evening when they again served a cracking meal but the difference this time was that we had plenty of volunteers to do the washing up and get the cook tent down so that Dave and Jeff could pack most of their kit ready to leave after Mondays breakfast.

That was the end of the festivities for me as I left at 9.45pm for the overnight drive to North Wales which was totally uneventful and after 300 miles arrived home just before 4am.

Edited by Degsy

All sorted. My phone didn't like Facebook but my PC decided I could watch it.

Having read the paragraph under the clip, doesn't Dave Beckett look just like Jack.....

- not so handsome thou..............

.....Friday , a very busy day with arrivals but managed to find time to give the Weasel a run as there had been no time to test it before leaving home, within a couple of hundred yards it was obvious that it was broke with a capital F so had to find a seat for Saturdays convoy,.....

Has the veterinary had a look at the weasel yet?

Has the veterinary had a look at the weasel yet?

Been called a lot of things in my life but that's a first:laugh: Haven't touched it yet 'cos I'll trailer it to a show this weekend just across the river from my place . By the look of the weather forecast I'll probably get time next week to start stripping it down in order to replace the water pump. The fuel tank and radiator need to come out to get at the water pump, it won't be a pleasant job:rolleyes:

I've been working as a snapper in the twin orbiting halo of MVs and living history for well over a decade. I had no illusions it would make me rich, much less famous, and have always held true the belief that everything ends. One day it really will. Until then I keep plugging away and although times are thin to say the least, events like Armour & Embarkation act like a defibrillator. Being out on the road in a circus of olive drab knocks the spots off sitting in a field and being able to engage with a bewildered public only adds to the fun. If the last outing of this event could be deemed as ground breaking, then the latest party should cement the realisation that road runs are a way forward. This takes nothing away from traditional events, because in a conservative universe like ours, tradition is king. How these things are organised is way outside my vista and long may it be so. It takes courage, bone headed determination and the patience of Job to organise events like this one - especially if the thing does not involve committees and meetings about meetings etc etc. I would imagine the only option is to remain fixed on the prize. In his own way Jack Beckett has won the roll-over. I've tried hating him on occasion. I find it next to impossible.

I joined HMVF a good while ago, attracted to the idea that a "club" could grow without a top table of grandees or the inevitable clutch of nay sayers who put the thumbs down on anything that scares them. In no time at all we had a virtual clubhouse, an inexhaustible supply of Custard Creams and a troupe of dancing girls who were ever ready for anything we cared to do. You really cannot make this stuff up...unless, of course, you actually do just that. The friends I have made on this forum come from far and wide and I have actually met some of them. This can be scary for both parties. The reality is, HMVF has created friendships that will last beyond the lifespan of active forum membership. It has been that good. The down side is that some things inevitably got too big or plain did not work. Even in the virtual world we cannot like everybody and we all have our own motives for being here which sometimes take on the constitution of Marmite. I reached a point where I had to walk away for a while and throw a few toys around. Calm returns.

The success of HMVF, which will not fade, was found in a windblown dunghole of a hillside last weekend. Here were a mass of complete idiots - you might call them pilgrims, who were prepared to career around the B roads of Dorset in any weather - or should I say every weather for the fun of it. I have never been into "dressing up", but I was convinced to shell out on suitable uniform to fit in with the image of the convoy. I looked ridiculous and realised how much so when my son James and I started to find that we enjoyed doing it. The road run itself was a classic, if a little less free flowing as 2010 appears to be in my memory. Maiden Newton had too many cars but the DRs kept the roads clear and remain the giants of our Big Weekend. Jack Beckett was his shaggy haired, vein popping self. The picture in his attic appears to have been chucked out. The commitment was written all over his face like a Banksy and I am glad I was not him. We smashed the main event and gave the hapless folk of Dorchester their town back again. How they lost it for two years is open to question. Perhaps we'll have to go back, but I'd like to see us take the circus somewhere else.

On Saturday Mother Nature saved her worst for after nightfall - the bitch. Sunday morning was one of the most miserable I can recall in Khaki Land and I was glad to ease my car up that muddy road back to the 21st Century. James and I stopped at the Tank Museum where I took a breathtakingly inept set of photos and ate one of the worst sausage rolls ever. Somebody set the fire alarm off. It was that sort of day.

Riding in Colin's WC63 with Sloppy But Safe breathing down my HBTs will remain a very happy memory until they put me in the pine box. You had to be there. I salute every one who attended and all the people who worked their butts off to make it happen. I have found a big bruise on the inside of my upper left arm which comes from the tilt frame. Only driving around in a WW2 truck for a day explains how it got there in a way to satisfy a suspicious spouse. Mine looked and tutted. Nuff said.

When Jack and HMVF won The Plank back in 2008 it really peed off the dinosaurs and above all else it showed that winning the thing was easy if you try, but earning it is another matter altogether. A&E seals the deal. HMVF has changed, Jack has changed - if only his socks - and the whole crazy thing rumbles on. A&E 2012 made me realise I can never walk away from this hobby. I'll see some of you at W&P and hope the road rises with you all.

MB

Edited by Snapper

Beautifully put, Mark. Looking forward to buying you a beer at War & Peace.

Edited by G506
Spelling

Mark that really was brilliant..

None taken. I'm glad, actually, because I looked ridiculous. I had a WW2 Agfa in my bag - but it decided to die a short time before A&E (broken shutter release) so I had it only in case anyone challenged me over original kit. I'm having similar issues with Simon Thomson's mate (nice bloke - sorry I cannot remember your name) who was on the bend. I'm removing him from my stuff where necessary. You have done a great job with your shot.

I've just looked properly at the original unedited snap on my camera card, and it wasn't you at all..:red::red::red: :n00b: :rolleyes: :(

It was that chap who had a bike, so sorry to have caused you any embarrassment, but I assumed it was you because you had been in the same spot earlier and I was too engrossed plonking bits of hedgerow over him to notice!

Please accept my apologies..:bow::bow:

Well said Mark,

I just regret that one,anyone of us drivers had stood up at the drivers breif on Friday night and thanked JB then...it seems a little late now AFTER the event which even on Friday we ALL KNEW would be GREAT.

Gary

Mark thank you so much, that's very kind of you. A lot gets done for this hobby but isn't often recognised. I consistently get a lot of stick and cr*p for everything that is done and its nice sometimes to have a kind word from someone like yourself.

I have just about recovered from A&E 2012 as it really did take it out of me again this time (lucky I like pain:-X ). Still have my report to do which I will do. The future for me is to get my tent business back up and running as I have ignored that over the last three months for A&E and to revamp HMVF to keep it current and moving forward :wow: To me the hobby still needs to update and keep up with modern IT and thinking.

What A&E 2012 has proved to me is that there is a massive appetite for seeing our hobby on the road - you only have to look at the thousands of people in Dorchester who came to see us JUST us - we need more of these 'live' events. It is also very clear by the attendees of A&E 2012 that they loved it too. There is nothing better than seeing a convoy of MV's FULL of people - this for me, is a real glimpse of the past. Even thou the campsite was wet at times if you view it from my angle you will also see the beauty in it because it also gives us a VERY small window into the conditions these vehicles and men operated in.

A stunning shot of a Dragon Wagon, hooked to a Ward La France that's hooked to a DT that's hooked to a Rogers trailer with an M4 HST chained onto it being pulled from the mud - this is just a little reminder of what would have happened during the war.

Cheers!

JB!!

I've been working as a snapper in the twin orbiting halo of MVs and living history for well over a decade. I had no illusions it would make me rich, much less famous, and have always held true the belief that everything ends. One day it really will. Until then I keep plugging away and although times are thin to say the least, events like Armour & Embarkation act like a defibrillator. Being out on the road in a circus of olive drab knocks the spots off sitting in a field and being able to engage with a bewildered public only adds to the fun. If the last outing of this event could be deemed as ground breaking, then the latest party should cement the realisation that road runs are a way forward. This takes nothing away from traditional events, because in a conservative universe like ours, tradition is king. How these things are organised is way outside my vista and long may it be so. It takes courage, bone headed determination and the patience of Job to organise events like this one - especially if the thing does not involve committees and meetings about meetings etc etc. I would imagine the only option is to remain fixed on the prize. In his own way Jack Beckett has won the roll-over. I've tried hating him on occasion. I find it next to impossible.

I joined HMVF a good while ago, attracted to the idea that a "club" could grow without a top table of grandees or the inevitable clutch of nay sayers who put the thumbs down on anything that scares them. In no time at all we had a virtual clubhouse, an inexhaustible supply of Custard Creams and a troupe of dancing girls who were ever ready for anything we cared to do. You really cannot make this stuff up...unless, of course, you actually do just that. The friends I have made on this forum come from far and wide and I have actually met some of them. This can be scary for both parties. The reality is, HMVF has created friendships that will last beyond the lifespan of active forum membership. It has been that good. The down side is that some things inevitably got too big or plain did not work. Even in the virtual world we cannot like everybody and we all have our own motives for being here which sometimes take on the constitution of Marmite. I reached a point where I had to walk away for a while and throw a few toys around. Calm returns.

The success of HMVF, which will not fade, was found in a windblown dunghole of a hillside last weekend. Here were a mass of complete idiots - you might call them pilgrims, who were prepared to career around the B roads of Dorset in any weather - or should I say every weather for the fun of it. I have never been into "dressing up", but I was convinced to shell out on suitable uniform to fit in with the image of the convoy. I looked ridiculous and realised how much so when my son James and I started to find that we enjoyed doing it. The road run itself was a classic, if a little less free flowing as 2010 appears to be in my memory. Maiden Newton had too many cars but the DRs kept the roads clear and remain the giants of our Big Weekend. Jack Beckett was his shaggy haired, vein popping self. The picture in his attic appears to have been chucked out. The commitment was written all over his face like a Banksy and I am glad I was not him. We smashed the main event and gave the hapless folk of Dorchester their town back again. How they lost it for two years is open to question. Perhaps we'll have to go back, but I'd like to see us take the circus somewhere else.

On Saturday Mother Nature saved her worst for after nightfall - the bitch. Sunday morning was one of the most miserable I can recall in Khaki Land and I was glad to ease my car up that muddy road back to the 21st Century. James and I stopped at the Tank Museum where I took a breathtakingly inept set of photos and ate one of the worst sausage rolls ever. Somebody set the fire alarm off. It was that sort of day.

Riding in Colin's WC63 with Sloppy But Safe breathing down my HBTs will remain a very happy memory until they put me in the pine box. You had to be there. I salute every one who attended and all the people who worked their butts off to make it happen. I have found a big bruise on the inside of my upper left arm which comes from the tilt frame. Only driving around in a WW2 truck for a day explains how it got there in a way to satisfy a suspicious spouse. Mine looked and tutted. Nuff said.

When Jack and HMVF won The Plank back in 2008 it really peed off the dinosaurs and above all else it showed that winning the thing was easy if you try, but earning it is another matter altogether. A&E seals the deal. HMVF has changed, Jack has changed - if only his socks - and the whole crazy thing rumbles on. A&E 2012 made me realise I can never walk away from this hobby. I'll see some of you at W&P and hope the road rises with you all.

MB