SAS 58 Pattern braces

43rdrecce

Yes not very well known and as the numbers made must be quite small they seldom turn up. At the end of each brace there are three inch loops to enable them to be slipped over a waistbelt. One of them has a loop to enable them to be crossed over in the small of the back just like '37 pattern.

They're listed in COSAs as Patt. '58 as follows:

8465-99-130-0246 BRACES, INDIVIDUAL EQUIPMENT

Detail SAS; webbing; cotton; olive drab; 43. 3/8 in. lg o/a 1958 Pattern; web equipment

8465-99-130-0247 POUCH, AMMUNITION, 1958 Pattern, Self loading rifle

Detail Webbing, cotton; olive drab. For use by SAS Regt only

8465-99-130-0248 POUCH, AMMUNITION, 1958 Pattern, Armalite

8465-99-130-0249 POUCH, RATION, ESCAPE

Detail Webbing, cotton; olive drab. 1958 Pattern for SAS Regt only

8465-99-130-0250 POUCH, ALTIMETER

Detail Webbing cotton; olive drab; 1958 Pattern; web equipment for SAS only

8465-99-130-0251 SHEATH, KNIFE

Detail Webbing cotton; olive drab; web equipment; 1958 Pattern for use by SAS only

The Detail column has inconsistent text. They were not present in CCN 1965, they were introduced between 1965 & 1976, specifically for SAS and I've never seen photos showing otherwise. The dropped loops were because SAS favoured Bergens, their multi-day patrols requiring more to be carried. The lumbar strap of the bergen coincides with the waistbelt, so all pouches had to be below it. -0251 inverts to Sheath Knife. It's not, of course, its a sheath for a knife, specifically such as Victorinox Swiss Army, Gerber, etc Trade Pattern stuff.

Marked GQ makes it very interesting. RFD-GQ took over Mills in 1970s, their product lines being reasonably coincident. Venture capitalists thereafter screwed everything up.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers

Paul

• 1 month later...
Yes not very well known and as the numbers made must be quite small they seldom turn up. At the end of each brace there are three inch loops to enable them to be slipped over a waistbelt. One of them has a loop to enable them to be crossed over in the small of the back just like '37 pattern.

They're listed in COSAs as Patt. '58 as follows:

8465-99-130-0246 BRACES, INDIVIDUAL EQUIPMENT

Detail SAS; webbing; cotton; olive drab; 43. 3/8 in. lg o/a 1958 Pattern; web equipment

8465-99-130-0247 POUCH, AMMUNITION, 1958 Pattern, Self loading rifle

8465-99-130-0248 POUCH, AMMUNITION, 1958 Pattern, Armalite

8465-99-130-0249 POUCH, RATION, ESCAPE

Detail Webbing, cotton; olive drab. 1958 Pattern for SAS Regt only

8465-99-130-0250 POUCH, ALTIMETER

Detail Webbing cotton; olive drab; 1958 Pattern; web equipment for SAS only

Detail Webbing cotton; olive drab; web equipment; 1958 Pattern for use by SAS only

The Detail column has inconsistent text. They were not present in CCN 1965, they were introduced between 1965 & 1976, specifically for SAS and I've never seen photos showing otherwise. The dropped loops were because SAS favoured Bergens, their multi-day patrols requiring more to be carried. The lumbar strap of the bergen coincides with the waistbelt, so all pouches had to be below it. -0251 inverts to Sheath Knife. It's not, of course, its a sheath for a knife, specifically such as Victorinox Swiss Army, Gerber, etc Trade Pattern stuff.

Marked GQ makes it very interesting. RFD-GQ took over Mills in 1970s, their product lines being reasonably coincident. Venture capitalists thereafter screwed everything up.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers

Paul

RFD also took over Beaufort Air-Sea Equipment Ltd, famous makers of 60s - 80s RAF aircrew clothing and equipment......

Anybody please got a pic or any more infor on the above,seen a pic somewhere but cannot for the life of me find it again:-(

It was a simple loop over the belt with a pocket that took the standard issue clasp knife if it's the one I'm thinking of. Used to be worn in barracks more than in field.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Apologies for necroposting... but I have a spare pair of the SAS braces in near mint condition and would ideally like to swap them for one of the following:

SAS Armalite Ammo Pouch

SAS SLR Ammo Pouch

SAS Escape Ration Pouch

As I also collect ordnance, I would also consider a swap for one of the following shell cases:

3 Pounder 2cwt

3.7" Mortar

3" Howitzer

17 Pounder

20 Pounder

Any takers?

Cheers,

Mark

IMG_4318.jpg

IMG_4317.jpg

IMG_4319.jpg

• 3 years later...