Early 58 Pattern Ammo Pouches Versions 1 and 2

wdbikemad

Photo0491.jpg Selection of some of my early 58 webbing ammo pouches, L & R sides......front and reverse views........the two on the right of each image are the first issue with the metal inserts in the pouch flaps.......MECO made, dated 1959.........:-D

Photo0490.jpg

Nice!So there was two different types of these pouches with the non angled fixings?One with metal inserts on the sides and one without?Then the fixings were angled(3rd issue)

I have a very tatty left hand pouch with the straight fixings and the sides of the pouch top have narrow non metal sides.

All ive got to get now is the RH pouch then i have a complete early set.

Where on earth do/did you get all this amazing kit from?????

The pouches i have with reinforcements to the lid arent metal,they are the red fibre type material,same as used for the MK5 helmet liner spider.

It's been accumulated over the last 30-odd years, and some bits I still have were picked up when still at school in the 70s.....the bulk of the collection however has accumulated within the last 8 - 10 years, mostly sourced from shows, surplus shops, etc.......oddly, very little from Ebay. I have, however, seriously curtailed adding unnecessary stuff now in recent years (unless an absolute bargain), concentrating mainly on items needed for reference for the book.......

I had a couple of early 1st pattern 58 pouches that were almost on death's door.......one pouch had visible metal (alloy) inserts in the corners of the lid.......but I didn't know about the red fibre variety.....:)