Wireless set No17 MkII

Looking for some history of these sets, when and what they were used for, what sort of ariels were used with them and anything else which might be of use.

Here are some pics of it.

IMG_5394r.JPG

IMG_5393r.JPG

IMG_5392r.JPG

IMG_5391r.JPG

IMG_5390r.JPG

IMG_5389r.JPG

IMG_5388r.JPG

IMG_5387r.JPG

Looking for some history of these sets, when and what they were used for, what sort of ariels were used with them and anything else which might be of use.

My large tomes of "Wireless for the Warrior" are packed and hundreds of miles away, however, Google is your friend, try "wireless set No.17" quite a lot of gen Richard.

Richard.

I thought they were for linking searchlight battalions. Used to have a pair of these 44-61 Mc/s brand new out of the box. Although you needed to have the calibrated wavemeter to know where you were! Sometimes it would just happen to clash with the TV (only one channel then) North Hessary Tor on 48.25 Mc/s :-X

I thought they were for linking searchlight battalions. Used to have a pair of these 44-61 Mc/s brand new out of the box. Although you needed to have the calibrated wavemeter to know where you were! Sometimes it would just happen to clash with the TV (only one channel then) North Hessary Tor on 48.25 Mc/s :-X

Yep! Searchlight and AA gun control was the main use, The set is a fairly horrible super-regenerative design from pre-WW2 and would seriously upset Band I television post-WW2. It was used with the WS36 transmitter and R206 receiver as control stations. Power supply is from a lead-acid LT cell (2 volts 16 amp hour capacity and a pair of 60 volt layer type primary batteries to give 120 volt HT supply).

Somewhere I have the "Wireless Diagram" that shows the scale of issue and net plan for a searchlight regiment (etc.) using WS17, WS36/R206, etc.

Chris.