• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As it is a Bell, electric, magneto, R........ does it Remotely set off a charge, or series of charges, after the bell has sounded?
Nope. I hadn't thought of the relevance to "R" but in fact there are a range of meanings to "R" that could reveal its purpose.

could it be part of rangefinding apparatus with series of bells or a bell code to get artillery onto a target where it would be impractical to use or hear voice commands?

I was just thinking the same thing. The third wire could be for a second tone, giving some form of indication.

low-high-low - aim higher

high-low-high - aim lower

low-low-high - aim right

high-low-low - aim left.

Could it have something to do with mining. Those massive bombs the engineers exploded under your opponent's trenches. Could the bell be the signal to get the hell out of the tunnel if your opponent made a sudden charge toward your only means of escape i.e. the adit? Robert (am off to bed - am sure someone will get this before morning!) :undecided:

Oh for goodness sake - will someone PLEASE get the answer to this one, and fast - I'm running out of strong black coffee.

There must be plenty of others like me who have not got a clue what it does, but who are being driven totally crazy by the interminable delay in the solution being revealed :nut::nut::nut:

could it be part of rangefinding apparatus with series of bells or a bell code to get artillery onto a target where it would be impractical to use or hear voice commands?
Nope, this equipment was not for use in actual conflict & is not artillery related.

I was just thinking the same thing. The third wire could be for a second tone, giving some form of indication.

low-high-low - aim higher

high-low-high - aim lower

low-low-high - aim right

high-low-low - aim left.

When plugged in the case shorts out the lower two contacts.

Could it have something to do with mining. Those massive bombs the engineers exploded under your opponent's trenches. Could the bell be the signal to get the hell out of the tunnel if your opponent made a sudden charge toward your only means of escape i.e. the adit? Robert (am off to bed - am sure someone will get this before morning!) :undecided:
Not mining related. TB raised that idea earlier on.

Oh for goodness sake - will someone PLEASE get the answer to this one, and fast - I'm running out of strong black coffee.

There must be plenty of others like me who have not got a clue what it does, but who are being driven totally crazy by the interminable delay in the solution being revealed :nut::nut::nut:

There are few Valium sandwiches and a couple of pints of Brandy still available. I think the cunning intilligence at the centre of this web is hinting the contraption is something to do with Artillery but what the *****it actually does is beyond me!:computerrage:

(Probaly turn out to be the Gun Commander's teas made!)

These are extracts from some of my answers. Don't know if that will help?

You all seem to be pitting your wits & I seem be the target

Originally Posted by Degsy

Fire alarm?

Not in that sense.

Does it indicate to the controller the area where a fire has started,

Nope but you need to think of your words in a different context.

In fact there are a range of meanings to "R" that could reveal its purpose.

Besides the range over which it would be required to work would not be long enough to require a relay.

You know guys, I reckon Clive's after the job of setting the Times crossword. :mad:

So if it ddosen't tell the Controller the gun has fired, does it tell the Gun that the Controller wants it to fire?

It's not a flaming ranging lamp id it? Set in the gun position to give a fixed point for any changes of bearing and elevation (Spelling mistakes are due to hysterical fingers)

Edited by Tony B

There are few Valium sandwiches and a couple of pints of Brandy still available. I think the cunning intilligence at the centre of this web is hinting the contraption is something to do with Artillery but what the *****it actually does is beyond me!:computerrage:

(Probaly turn out to be the Gun Commander's teas made!)

"& is not artillery related."

Is it used as a warning bell on a firing range?

Absolutely correct well done!

It is "intended for use on field firing ranges for the purpose of connecting a bell at the target pits."

The odd hidden clues:

You all seem to be pitting your wits & I seem be the target

Fire alarm?

Not in that sense.

Does it indicate to the controller the area where a fire has started,

Nope but you need to think of your words in a different context.

In fact there are a range of meanings to "R" that could reveal its purpose.

Besides the range over which it would be required to work would not be long enough to require a relay.

Well done everyone for having a go :D

Clive, we are not worthy...your clues are wasted on us

Oh don't be so daft Bernard! You knew the answer all the time, you were just stringing me along..... maybe..... perhaps?:undecided:

No,, this was a first class example of how to look at info. with 360. You think you have used lateral and yet failed to do so.

The zinc gauze , how stupid of me. Quite simple , the purpose is to stop bids using the box for nesting - a external problem that I had not considered. I fell into the trap that the gauze design in precision & or material held the clue to solving the question, why did they not use brass or copper gauze ?

I went down a single avenue, that the secret revolved around the gauze BUT - I was the bird brain.