I assume you are thinking of the thing on the top? That is a 'flap' which I think operates a gripping mechanism for wires.

The mystery item that fits in the case itself is not a Morse key either.

as you implied earlier. it has a link with field telephony, maybe the box contains a bell to alert for calls or general alarm?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that looks like a pole mount, so I'm guessing it goes up high. Is it some kind of signalling/warning light? Perforated vent for cooling?

3 contacts is making me wonder... Arc lamp / gas plasma?

Yes, up a pole but not too high.

Yes, signalling/warning, but not a light.

maybe the box contains a bell

Yes well done Richard we can always rely on you, it is indeed a bell

In fact it houses Bell, electric, magneto, R

The mounting bracket would be mounted not too high as the Case, bell, bracket could be pulled out by its handle & a field telephone plugged in its place. Although the predominant use for the bracket was to house the bell & its box.

As a final detail any ideas what this particular system was intended to be used for?

Does it by any chance come from this manual, Clive? :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As it happens no it doesn't...........................but that looks a jolly useful publication. Would like to get a copy of that :whistle:

I can see what you mean Bernard, but electro/electronic means of gas detection was some years away.

Detecting telephone signals, which was possible during WW1.. maybe it gave an alarm to notify that a call was being made so that they could evesdrop?? probably wrong but worth a go..

When a telephone was used to signal from a WWI trench an earth connection was usually made and through the earth connection a signal flowed into the ground. The majority of the signal took the easiest path between sender and receiver but lots of current also passed by more roundabout routes. Because trenches rarely followed straight lines anyway a good proportion of the earth current was detectable at nearby German trenches and if connections were made to ground at two widely separate points enough of the current was available to drive a sensitive detector. The amplifier used four triode valves and was able to amplify tiny intercepted earth currents sufficiently for an eavesdropper to listen in on enemy communications.

Edited by Marmite!!

Detecting telephone signals, which was possible during WW1..
It was indeed especially if a single wire was used with the return via earth.

maybe it gave an alarm to notify that a call was being made so that they could evesdrop?? probably wrong but worth a go..
Plausible but this was not the specific function of this equipment.

Though bells could be used to signal the start of an artillery barrage,
I was thinking that would be fairly self-evident, but I now realise you must mean the start of delivering the barrage.:D

No its not for that actually.

:thumbsup: Well you made us work for that one Clive!
Yes enjoyed the thought processes going on there. Intriguing how elaborate the ideas were yet it was just a simple device.

Can't wait to see this pesky bell and how it's connected...
Ah yes the star of the show. Sadly, in this publication, there is no description of the pesky bell itself. As for connections it just says "terminals are provided inside the box for connecting the bell to the brass lining of the contact grooves."

Still a bit to run yet, nobody has yet come up with its specific role.

Hmm, railway use, for traffic signalling? It could be carried about and just plugged in at any convenient location on a track.
I like that suggestion on the evidence so far it sounds plausible but it is not the answer. Edited by fv1609
missing "is not"