Land Rover Lightweight 55HG89 Restoration

Thanks WCmatt high praise indeed! The old frame is the original chassis from 55HG89 which we had to replace due to rot, we kept it so that we could use it as a reference point for the various holes and bracket placement on the new chassis. Not to worry though we still have the MT350 as you say as well as a Sankey trailer and a Wolf to sort out after the Lightweight is finished!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi fesm_ndt

Thanks for the comment, Ive just had a look at your link that must have been an incredible experience! I notice you say you miss your Lightweight what was her fate?

I sold it shortly after the trip to finance a bigger vehicle for another go at crossing Australia as wanted a bit more space, as sleeping on a picnic table and the ground was a bit too gung ho.

But that was now nearly 6 years ago and 3 MV projects later I still haven't gone on the long drive. Now onto my 4th MV project, hopefully this one will be the next overland vehicle (or the missus will kill me :D).

There certainly is not a lot of space in them (especially with radio gear in the back) for sleeping! I'm sure the fun you had in it more than made up for the lack of sleep! I know Jim the Lightweights owner would like to have a Landrover Ambulance but his missus would kill him if he got one!

• 2 years later...

Hi All

It has been a while since posting on here and as we had some decent weather we thought it would be a good idea to have a got at putting a mast on the back of the lightweight. We managed to get hold of the top bracket for soft top vehicles and decided to fabricate a base plate for the over rider out of a plate used for ground mounting the mast, brought for the princely sum of £2 at a recent show!

20170408_142227_zpssvv6rqnd.jpg

We then test fitted it and its pretty clear we will need to remove the mast either taking it in or out of the garage!

20170408_150053_zpszfpuikao.jpg

20170408_150100_zpsko60ojej.jpg

20170408_125613_zpsczld0wys.jpg

Hopefully we can get her to some shows this year and finally get some of the last bits we need to do done so we can finally call her finished!