DAf DROPS

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work with 38 tons....I used to think it was 40 but I cant confirm that these days...under current regs wide wheels over 300mm count as double wheels...

I have heard that teh drops was intend for the bigger wheels but became even more unstable...

I have never turned my DROPS over...However I guess if its possible to induce a roll in a normal vehicle at 5 mph it cant be that difficult to induce a roll in a top heavy off roading DROPS truck loaded with a 432...mind you not seen as many roll overs on drops as I have on the foden wreckers, now they are top heavy..

perhaps they need to be banned and eradicated from history they must be so dangerous...sorry guys but we all know there are risks in driving anything, i dont use my truck for hauling thousands of miles every day its used to take the mtlb to shows, once last year twice this year...total of less than 1000 miles, it has had more service hours than it has been on the road...

I am just glad that it holds air..although I think the hand brake is leaking some too as it drops a bit of air once this is applied, will check that over too now...maybe that is the final source of leaks causing it to loase any air at all...wouldnt that be good, no air leaks on DROPs..

.and I have a fix for my diff leaking...there are two types of pressure relief valves 8 and 12 psi, I have the 8 ones so will replace with the 12's. well done Clive...

OOOPs must have touched a nerve somewhere

I have been following this thread with increasing concern, the vehicle , if loaded with armour is inherently unstable. It follows that you are carrying an unsafe load and are thereby liable to prosecution. The fact that you only do a low mileage is irrelevant and flippant remarks about not turning it over yet suggest a lack of responsibility. It does not bear thinking about if it does roll and land on a smaller vehicle perhaps carrying children. Over the last 50 plus years I've seen the results of poor safety attitudes and I have to say I wouldn't drive that combination for all the tea in China.

here we go again...a 432 is 13 tons, the truck is legally allowed to carry 32 tons. It is 15 tons unladen...the reccomended maximum load is 15 tons on the flat racks as that is all they are rated for I understand although it is well known that these trucks have been used with close to 50 tons laden in soe scenarios.

However you look at a DROPS truck it is high, but it is not inherrently unsafe. Have you ever seen a loaded high skip roll on truck, have you ever seen these new two car transit vans with the second car high in the air...all are inherrently safe but if you were to drive them like a loon you can turn anything over...as has already been stated...mercedes a class cars another example...the way you drive is the significant factor not the load or design of the truck, thease are all factors if done wrong but not the main reason...

the racks were never designed for 432's, and therefore it isnt the easiest of loads to carry, even with rubber tracks on a std pallet I would think you would have less than a couple of inches on the load bed...dodgy in anyones eyes but I have seen it done.

for instance my MTLB is on a specially adapted rack with side extensions permanently welded on, and anti side slip bars inside the tracks which mean it has less than 15 mm slip side ways. for the 432 I would use a similar arrangement if I ever loaded the 432 on it...

How on earth any axle would be overloaded I do not see...with the load on the pallet the 432 is 17 foot long, it sits with the engine forward and inside the rear axles and the front. The loading maximum for each axle is 10 tons. ie 20 tons. the front two carry the majority of the trucks weight as the lifting gear and engine are all in this area, say ten tons, 5 ton max per axle on the front, add 35% of the 432's weight which is 5 tons approximately you will have both front axles loaded at beteem 6 and 8 tons, tops, well within limits, the rear of the truck is unloaded so lets say it carrys 5 tons unladen and then they carry a further 65% of the 432's weight...this means say 9 tons worst case...this would be spread relatively evenly over both axles so 2.5 per plus 4.5 is 7 tons...worst case...I cannot see how or where you would be overloading the axles. It is well within limits.

hence my incredulity to those who say it is not....

ANd anyone who knows anything about risks knows that as the numbers increase the risks dont change but the chances of you meeting the minority percentage increase exponentially...

anyway back on thread, she drove lovely down to overlord, no roll overs and quite a few roundabouts, only loaded with 11 and a half tons of MTLB, yes armour and a uaz on the mesa trailer,, we have modded that a bit removed all the heavy hydraulic gear and plates and made it into a vehicle trailer...we are hoping once checked on the weighbriodge that the trailer may be down to 1 and a half tons, its all up weight is 4.5 tons or thereabouts and so if we have brought her down to 1.5 tons or less she will carry around 3 tons or more...shame these trailers dont go to 5 tons would make it ultra more useful....we will see once it is finished with new lightweight panels in between and a small extension on the rear to make ramps easier to use...

still getting some air loss when constantly manouvering back and forth using the hand brake...will investigate this further...when we get back from the show.

anyway back on thread, she drove lovely down to overlord, no roll overs and quite a few roundabouts, only loaded with 11 and a half tons of MTLB, yes armour and a uaz on the mesa trailer,, we have modded that a bit removed all the heavy hydraulic gear and plates and made it into a vehicle trailer...we are hoping once checked on the weighbriodge that the trailer may be down to 1 and a half tons, its all up weight is 4.5 tons or thereabouts and so if we have brought her down to 1.5 tons or less she will carry around 3 tons or more...shame these trailers dont go to 5 tons would make it ultra more useful....we will see once it is finished with new lightweight panels in between and a small extension on the rear to make ramps easier to use...

still getting some air loss when constantly manouvering back and forth using the hand brake...will investigate this further...when we get back from the show.

Could you post some pics of the rig in action at Overlord please Paul ! Regards Andy :-D

Hi Paul. There will be 2 new front axle hub pressure relief valves (12psi ) in the post to you tomorrow.

Regards

Clive

you are a star clive, still getting tank 3 losing air when manouvering with a trailer. WIll do a bit more checking on the rear end...might be the trailer but never seen any leaks on her...

Hi Paul.

Question. Has the trailer got it's own air Reservoir supply for the trailer brakes.

When the trailer is connected to the Drops, check that your not getting any air leaking from the trailer control valve when you apply the brakes.

regards

Clive

never really got on with the shunt button, brakes seem inneffective with it, I know its designed to save the air but never found it very easy. I think the thing really needs a spare air tank or even bigger ones all round.... Although to be fair we have found a leak on the trailer.

never really got on with the shunt button, brakes seem inneffective with it, I know its designed to save the air but never found it very easy. I think the thing really needs a spare air tank or even bigger ones all round.... Although to be fair we have found a leak on the trailer.

The whole point of the shunt button is so that you can move the trailer without connecting any airlines, all it does is release the brakes

Hence my comment about having no brakes

The only time my company allows the shunt button to be used is when coupling a trailer with a deep pin and instead of split coupleing we crank couple (and drivers have to be trained and signed off for competency)

Both methods can if not properly done kill you

The whole point of the shunt button is so that you can move the trailer without connecting any airlines, all it does is release the brakes

Hence my comment about having no brakes

The only time my company allows the shunt button to be used is when coupling a trailer with a deep pin and instead of split coupleing we crank couple (and drivers have to be trained and signed off for competency)

Both methods can if not properly done kill you

No you have the wrong idea i dont mean the shunt button on the Trailer . As you rightly say that makes the trailer brakes in operative. No i am on about the button on the floor of the cab of the drops it works only the brakes on the non driven axle (i think) it was put there so when manouvering in a yard etc at slow speeds it would bring the vehicle to a stop with out using vast reserves of air. Acts a bit like the left hand inching pedal on a forklift. Eg it creates enough resistance to stop the vehicle via the torque converter slipping as long as you arnt reving the nuts of the engine.

yes not sure which axle it works on either but as I say just cant get on with it...when I am manouvering I always need to use the main brakes....I guess because I am in a tight spot and need instant stop, not slow stop...

yes not sure which axle it works on either but as I say just cant get on with it...when I am manouvering I always need to use the main brakes....I guess because I am in a tight spot and need instant stop, not slow stop...

From my recollection of DROPS when on the technical repair course at SEME, some 21 years ago, it was for when picking up and dropping a rack, so braking movemnts were done gently.

• 5 weeks later...

okay I need some help...oil pressure switch failed on my truck, so now need a new one they are only Leyland?daf fitments and all the truck places I know say they cannot get it...anyone got any idea where I might get one...have a useless truck without it..

we did a full fluids check and everything is all greased and oiled and ready to run sweet again.,...front leaking diff was nearly empty...thats full now with the new higher prssure valves supplied care of John at protrucks...top man indeed, owe him a pint or three...

anyway can anyone help with the oil pressure switch...

Is it it simply oil light on off switch or has it an electrical oil pressure gauge. If its the first any screw in any oil pressure switch with same thread will do the job. If second try fitting a mechanical guage using nylon pipe to connect as a stop gap until sorted. What make is the switch i doubt very much its leyland specific

Is it it simply oil light on off switch or has it an electrical oil pressure gauge. If its the first any screw in any oil pressure switch with same thread will do the job. If second try fitting a mechanical guage using nylon pipe to connect as a stop gap until sorted. What make is the switch i doubt very much its leyland specific

its an electrical one and not particularly standard, its a valio item and they know it but cannot supply it we have to get it from the army or the manufacturer..damn annoying

Is it a Rolls Royce engine? Maybe a Perkins dealer can supply one?

they never supplied one to the army....it was always blanked off and the oil pressure switch supplied and fitted by scammel leyland or daf, whoever owned who at the time of fitting...

As i said is it a standard switch eg simple on of putting a light on off Or is it vairable working a guage through vairable resistance in the switch.

If its the first any oil pressure switch with two terminals can be used eg lucas Delco reme etc as long as the thread the same.