Special Air Service, Long Range Desert Group, Popski's Private Army

GoranWC51

I thought we could have a thread with anything connected to the special forces, such as SAS, LRDG and PPA. Photographs of vehicles, uniform items, anything really.

I'll kick off with some photo's of different PPA Jeeps:

PPA Jeep somewhere in Italy_ppa90.jpg

Goran N

Popski after loosing his right hand.jpg

pop4.jpg

popski-desert-jeep.jpg

Popskis.jpg

popsky1.jpg

• 8 months later...

So many books have been written on the LRDG and so much research done that it is difficult to find anything new. However one area that interests me seems to have been barely covered at all. I would like to obtain more info about the LRDG repair and maintenance workshops at the Citadel in Cairo. Does anyone have any photos of the workshops or of LRDG trucks being repaired or perhaps even written reminiscences of the mechanics who had the responsibility of repairing the trucks? It would be really great to know a bit more about what damage occurred and how they were repaired for the next patrol etc. Can anyone help with this?

This is probably the first occasion since WW2 when 4 Chev LRDG trucks are shown together. They are replicas of course, as no originals are known to exist. A fifth truck is under restoration. The occasion was the Armistice Day commemorations at Karapiro, near Cambridge New Zealand in November 2012. Two replica LRDG jeeps complete the picture.

First time since WWII (panoramic).JPG

• 4 months later...
So many books have been written on the LRDG ... . Does anyone have any photos of the workshops or of LRDG trucks being repaired or perhaps even written reminiscences of the mechanics who had the responsibility of repairing the trucks? It would be really great to know a bit more about what damage occurred and how they were repaired for the next patrol etc. Can anyone help with this?

You are right - an interesting subject. Unfortunately there is nothing I could share with you in this regard. I had the chance to visit the citadel in Cairo last year but there is only a part accessible to the public: The military museum a courtyard and the area with the big mosque. All what is built on the lower level (you can look down) gave me the impression that it is not used anymore and in ruins.