The Police

Mark

With the pig and piglet i often get stopped and only once has been for anything else but sorry sir just wanted to have a look, usually followed by i ain't seen one since i was in N.I. or do you want to swap it for our transit we think we'd be safer in this. ( a London football team were playing and they feared trouble).

The one exception was in the pig on the way to a remembrance day event and i was also told to turn off my beacon even though i said it was to me me more conspicuous. Their parting line was "just you drive carefully through town pepole might not notice you", go figure!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they just told me I shouldn't be using them.

They also said that if anyone drove a car in to the back of me they would come off worse and it would be their fault so I shouldn't worry about it.

My Matador had two Land Rover plastic tail lights and HGV marker boards on the back.

Dredging this one back to the surface - a thought occured to me - what about all the mobile cranes you see whizzing about festooned in whirly orange beacons??

When I took little Maud into work last year we were running flat out down the A127 @just under 40 mph - and two of these crane units with whirly lights overtook us!

So if Graham shouldn't have been using them on his Matador - why do these crane units have them all over??? Seems odd to me :dunno: :dunno:

I don't seem to have any problems with the Police even when dressed as a Taliban Fighter.. I was an extra last weekend for a major Documentary Channel.. sorry can't say much more or publish photos of the shoot until the program goes out in the summer, probably in the States first :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed:

width=533 height=800http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/safariswing/Picture042-2.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/ian2b/100_4746.jpg[/img]

width=533 height=800http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/safariswing/Taliban/Picture003.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=426http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/safariswing/Taliban/Picture165.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=395http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/safariswing/Picture100-1.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/ian2b/100B4981.jpg[/img]

width=600 height=800http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/ian2b/100_4608.jpg[/img]

FIrst picture on page ALBION stopped in BIRD CAGE WALK LONDON At Queen Mums 90 birthday celebrations for security check .After being sent out of the area by bomb scare and then let back in (ever driven 9ft wide truck round the west end of LONDON )

TONY

FIrst picture on page ALBION stopped in BIRD CAGE WALK LONDON At Queen Mums 90 birthday celebrations for security check .After being sent out of the area by bomb scare and then let back in (ever driven 9ft wide truck round the west end of LONDON )

TONY

Does an Antar count???????? If so - yes, around 30 years ago :-)

Not something I'd care to do on a regular basis - esp. with todays levels of traffic.....

Well, a few years ago I rode around Milan a sidecar with a "Regio Esercito" (Italian Royal Army) registration plate... And we are a Republic since 1946!!!!!

Police around were waving and cheering but no one stopped me....

Andrea

Just goes to show how much they take notice of things

I live in North Wales so probably don't present a very balanced view of the police,but from what contact both myself and people I know have had with North Wales Police they are a waste of space! a good example is a friend in the village who restored a 1966 Land Rover(civi). He fitted a set of the correct silver on black number plates only to be stopped by one of NWP's finest and told they were illegal,only after producing the DVLA regs did plod accept that the plates were ok :roll:

Matt.

• 3 weeks later...

In the US the greatest problem with law enforcement is ignorance. Now before you get excited about that statement, my reference is in the level of knowledge regarding the motor vehicle code as it applies to classic or historic motor vehicles.

The police academies here have little time to take a young man from being a civilian to a fully commissioned police officer. If you were to take a look at the laws he/she have to enforce, the volumes pile up higher than his head. Then take the court decisions that modify those laws, and then add the rules and special orders that are required knowledge. It is truly mind boggling. The end result is that the vast majority of the "street cops" have little knowledge of the special sections regarding your historic military vehicle.

For example many states allow an owner to register an appropriately old vehicle, usually 25 to 30 years since manufacture, using a "military registration number" such as might be painted on a bumper or hull. The title and registration will probably list that number, however the owner has the option of displaying the issued "collector car" or "historic vehicle" plate(s) OR using the painted number for identification. This means that no officially issued plate need be displayed, but one is probably required to be carried in the vehicle to be displayed upon request.

I know of one fellow with a well restored and equipped HUMV who regularly drives on and off a military post to pick up friends. The vehicle is NOT owned by the military, but because one HUMV looks like any other to the Department of Defense gate guards, he comes and goes at will. I suppose this is a dangerous tactic and the time could come where he and his HUMV might be parked in the impound lot.

The best defense is a good offense, it is said. So arm your classic historic military vehicle with all the documentation necessary to satisfy an police officers' curiosity. At the minimum you probably already have your registration and insurance papers. Add to this a copy of your state's motor vehicle law section covering your vehicle, especially if you have a "no plates" option. If all your required safety equipment (brake lights, turn signals, etc.) are present and working, then that's a good thing.

The worst thing a driver of a historic military vehicle can do if stopped by an officer "with an attitude" is to respond to his demeanor. You may well end up having to defend your position in court, and even worse, you might get your vehicle impounded.

Another issue that is really unclear in many areas is the level of driver's license required when operating "big rigs". In some states if the vehicle has air brakes, then a commercial drivers license (CDL) is required. Some states either limit or exclude historically licensed big trucks from carrying anything but passengers - no cargo even if it's your lumber for your garage expansion.

The bottom line is that you should know your vehicle and your laws, don't argue, and hope for the best! I have driven my Ferret over 6,000 miles in two states and have not been approached by an officer EXCEPT to take a look and enjoy seeing old military vehicles out on the road. My experiences in 38 years of law enforcement give me some background to comment on this, as my main tasks involved traffic enforcement and training police officers in accident investigation.

We got pulled over by an armed officer and told to take the Bren off the Ferret, I explained that it was deactivated and showed the deac certificate, I also made a point that I would be concerned if there was a Bren gun out the window of my Mondeo, but on the ferret its in keeping with the vehicle. Still, I didn't want to argue with him and get into trouble so I went home and took it off. :-(

What I find odd is that before that we had always had a good reaction from police, who were just generally interested in the vehicle.

It only takes 1 cocky copper eh?!!

Best Regards,

Mick.

Not a story about the Police, but a Traffic Warden. I was going to Woodcote Steam Show with my Ford WOA2 last year and stopped in Reading to pick up my Mother, who wanted to come along with me for the day. Parking is horrendous in Reading, and I stopped on double yellow lines, reasoning that it was only a few minutes to collect Mother from over the road. When I looked back, there was a Traffic Warden standing there, and I rushed back to apologise and say I would be going in a minute. His reply was 'Oh, I couldn't give a ticket to such a fine vehicle'. What's the chance of finding a Traffic Warden keen on WW2 vehicles? We ended up having a 10 minute talk about vehicles and the model aircraft he was building.

There's good and bad folks all over - luck is only finding the good ones.

I had a little trouble with a Female toy cop, not real police but they can give fines.

When the movie Pearl Harbor came out the cinema's manager asked me to lend military items for the lobby and to place my Dodge on the pavement in front of the cinema.

So along came 2 traffic wardens, a guy and a woman. She obviously suffered from a lack of weapon and a penis so she had to be an obnoxious.

The man didn't give me grieve but the woman did.

First she told my brother not to drink beer on the street, at which he replied, "it's a good thing I'm on the pavement then".

Well she didn't like that and said she could fine me for parking on the pavement so I explained the cinema invited me so they should talk to the manager.

In the end we just got a warning (poehoe, scared now).

When we left after the event we saw them walking so we waved, the guy waved back, guess he also thought she was an ass...

To be honest folks - after last weekends events the police can go kiss a Stalwarts exhaust pipe for all I care about them right now. After it's been running at full bore for an hour or so!!!

Damage bill from the local moronic turds just crossed into 4 figures and so far we haven't seen hide not hair of a police oficer anywhere around here!

And this despite giving them the names and adresses of those responsible.......

The Mets not a police force anymore - it's a police farce!!!! >:( >:(>:(

Early hours last Sunday morning we had the local moron brigade come and vandalize the house and wifes cars Dave. First they pelted the house with eggs, then got bored of that, lobbed a lump of concrete through the rear screen of the wifes Explorer and then pelted the interior of that with eggs. Had to have a new rear screen and rams for the Explorer, interior had the be stripped out and scrubbed (carpets are still wet!!) to get the eggs and shell out and we're still trying to clean the front and side of the house out. We had an eggbox and the brick but scene of crimes refused to come out saying after 4 hours it was too late to get prints from the concrete,and that because the egg box was found the wrong side of the property live the CPS would not allow it as evidence. We know who did it and gave the police the names and addresses - since corroborated by other witnesses. Thus far we've not seen a single police officer which is no doubt sending the message to the morons that they can get away with such actions - oh yes - and we've been told in no uncertain terms not to retaliate against the scum otherwise WE'D be nicked. The wife has gven vent to her feelings over the phone and the only response thus far was a call from the "community support officer" who said they knew there are problems on this estate and that they'd dramatically increased their presence here - they now walk down the street every 4 or 5 days in daylight. This has been going on for FOUR bloody years now and getting progressively worse. >:( >:(

And what triggered this one was they wanted to have a go at my daughter when her friends left the night before - but when her friends left went we had two ex-Mil Landies parked on and across the drive with a number of the lads examining the new 109" FFR purchase so the scum bottled out. >:(