Fox CVRW - the case of the missing dipstick...

markbg

Hi

Just been sorting out the fox for the bunker bash and im still trying to find a second dipstick on the transfer box - the one on top just next to the turret swivel is easy to find but on the diagram on my manual there is a second one marked on the side of the transmission? Despite getting all the floor plates off I still cant locate and second dipstick on any part of the machinery under the turret floor plates..

Does anyone know where or if there should be a second filler under the floor plates somewhere?

cheers

Mark b

Hi

Just been sorting out the fox for the bunker bash and im still trying to find a second dipstick on the transfer box - the one on top just next to the turret swivel is easy to find but on the diagram on my manual there is a second one marked on the side of the transmission? Despite getting all the floor plates off I still cant locate and second dipstick on any part of the machinery under the turret floor plates..

Does anyone know where or if there should be a second filler under the floor plates somewhere?

cheers

Mark b

Mark,

Only one dipstick as a Fox differs from a Ferret, in that it is one common oil flowing through gear and transfer boxes.

My Prototype Fox has 2 gearbox dipsticks, one for the main box and one for the transfer box. (2 different oils)

That's because it has a Ferret, trunnion mounted gearbox.

Perhaps your paperwork has not been correctly modified from the Daimler issued prototype manual!

Jon

My Prototype Fox has 2 gearbox dipsticks, one for the main box and one for the transfer box. (2 different oils)

That's because it has a Ferret, trunnion mounted gearbox.

Perhaps your paperwork has not been correctly modified from the Daimler issued prototype manual!

Jon

Jon,

There were some Ferrets, possibly last contract, that had common oil throughout, have forgotten now how to identify them, but when in service they had something stencilled on them. The prototype Fox may predate them.

Yes Richard, I have seen a late Ferret with a combined oil gearbox.

The prototype Fox was built in 1968. I believe that it was one of a batch of 15, destined for evaluation at MVEE.

My Daimler book says that they were probably the last military vehicles they built (With the possible exception of the last Ferrets completing an existing contract. I think that these were part of a re-furbishment programme.).

Jon