Restauration Studebaker US6 4

I am getting towards the end of my Studebaker restoration , but still have 2 questions , first , how is the area around the pedals sealed, there are holes for parker screws , but the fixing is missing .

Second question is about the door seal trimming , how was the door seal held in place ?P1010448.jpg

P1010447.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

thanks a lot Ron , I see that the trimming is from the same material as in a GMC cab , so I will go hunting for this . Is the roof lining made out of cardboard , or is it pressed wood fibbers material ? your cab looks really orriginal . If you have time could you also take a picture from the rear interior of the cab , thanks , great help.

maurice

The roof lining is cardboard with a brown smooth surface on the side pointing down( exactly the same stuff which was used in my old school case when I was a kid).

Self tapping screws used thoughout.

The centre front of the lining has a split in it to allow it to be shaped to the roof and the side to roof lining was sewn together with heavy cotton .

I will post more pictures for you.

I posted that pic to see if anyone would pick it up.

The amber clearence lights on the roof and the cable operated stop/turn signal hand were fitted to Australian studebakers.

The handle that operates the yellow signal hand which hides inside that flat plate is mounted up in the centre of the dasboard hard up against the windscreen.

thanks Ron for more pictures, I started already on the pedal cover , just paint and it can go on , the felt around the accelerator pedal was brown on mine .

The seal around the door does it have a rope inside , it looks like it . I ordered some of that cardboard , see if i can stitch it together .

In one of the pictures there is a corner from a floor mat , is it an original ?

The rubber flloor mat is not original. ( I believe it is done similar to the original......I will post pics)

I will have to check the rubber around the doors and see exactly what it is.

Edited by 101 Ron

here pictures of my copy pedal seal .

And also the set up of the wiper motors , some have them on the screen , in the manual they are shown to be positioned in the roof . is this an early and late feature?P1010485.jpg

P1010484.jpg

To the best of my knowleage.

Early production has one vacuum wiper built into the roof above the windscreen.

A exturnal link (outside the vehicle) tranferred the wiping action to the right hand and left hand wipers.

The next version is the twin built into the roof set up which you have.

Both early versions built/mounted in the roof used a special type of wiper arm which allowed the winscreen to be opened without damage to the wiper arms.(these wiper arms are very hard to locate)

The latter models had the wiper vacuum motor mounted directly onto the windscreen.

This allowed the use of standard wiper arms, but at the cost of reduced driver vision.

All australian Studebakers were 1945 manufacture and had vacuum wipers fitted to the opening windscreen with standard wiper arms.

These vacuum units were replaced in service with electric wiper motors.( In AUST)

My studebaker while having the later windscreen mounted vacuum wipers has had the early type wiper arms fitted as for some reason they were advailible here in Australia for a time and could be fitted to the later set up.

I converted back from 6 volt electric to vacuum due to a 12 volt conversion of my truck.

On my truck I noticed it has everything inplace to mount the wiper motors on the roof and have often though of doing it to improve vision as I already have the special wiper arms.

The later mounting on the windscreen frame may be slightly different between production batches as Steel, brass and alloy frames were used and I guess some of the early steel frames may not have been drilled for wiper motors.

Edited by 101 Ron

My rubber floor mat is due for replacing.

It used to be renforced at the gear sticks, only a little bit on the transfercase levers remains.

005-19.jpg

002-21.jpg

This showns the original type of wiper arm for the mounted on the roof wipers, but is incorrect for this truck as they are fitted to windscreen frame mounted wipers.

001-23.jpg

003-20.jpg

This is the other end of the handsign on the dash board.

004-24.jpg

This is me playing at the farm, it is blowing a little bit of smoke as it just had new rings fitted which had not settled yet.

The old rings were not worn out ,but lost there tension after 65 years.

This truck has yet to do 11000 miles and has never been fully restored.

enjoy

Edited by 101 Ron

• 1 year later...

I am back on the Studebaker , just been trying to get rear window with seal in , but impossible on my own .

The window winder and inside door handle have escutcheons, but to fill the gap between them and the door pannel, is it felt they used ?

• 3 years later...

The inner door handle and a lot of hard to get plates and cabin fittings were being reproduced by a man in Queensland Australia.

The door handle was a die cast type much like the civie car items of the time with a plastic knob on the window winder.

Both the winder and inner door handle had felt pad, a chronical spring and plastic covering washer behind the handles much like car practice of the time.

The data plates for the whole vehicle

Under dash vent handle knob

Glove box lid plastic knob

Inner handles and backing plastic washers and felts.

flat springs for the glove box lid...........................................

were all being reproduced to original specs

I can post pics in time.

I do have some where have the details of the man producing these items , but it was a long time ago and I don't know if he still does them or has any thing for sale.

There may be some old new stock in this country, but the inner door handles tended to break often in service.

Ron