70s / 80s Ration Packs

wdbikemad

• 4 weeks later...

What, no Geordies on this thread?  As Safety Officer on the very first Battle Group through BATUS, I was hitching a lift with a Platoon HQ of the Infantry (Green Howards) Company at lunchtime.  Platoon Sergeant suggests 'Jam and cheese sandwiches, lads?'. Compo cheese went down well (though I seldom got jam and cheese on bread since wartime in Newcastle, mores the pity.  My Southern regiment would have laughed me to scorn had I suggested it),

And, to add to the Squaddies Stew post, it was a standing joke in BAOR on the 70s that Mojo Stew consisted of ALL the components of compo stewed together (including the soap).

Chris

Edited by chrisgrove

23 hours ago, chrisgrove said:

What, no Geordies on this thread?  As Safety Officer on the very first Battle Group through BATUS, I was hitching a lift with a Platoon HQ of the Infantry (Green Howards) Company at lunchtime.  Platoon Sergeant suggests 'Jam and cheese sandwiches, lads?'. Compo cheese went down well (though I seldom got jam and cheese on bread since wartime in Newcastle, mores the pity.  My Southern regiment would have laughed me to scorn had I suggested it),

And, to add to the Squaddies Stew post, it was a standing joke in BAOR on the 70s that Mojo Stew consisted of ALL the components of compo stewed together (including the soap).

Chris

I'm not a Geordie, but from Co. Durham, used to love the processed cheese and jam sarnies.

• 1 year later...

I remember compo with pleasure. I was in Cyprus in a quarter in Pergamos in the Eastern SBA during the agro in July '74 when the NAAFI was running short of stuff. The local commander ordered ten-man ration packs to be issued at a rate of 2/3 ration to those of us who had Brit civvies evacuated from Famagusta. There nine of us in my quarter, an Army wife and two kids, and an RAF wife with one child, along with my wife and two. We were issued with 2 packs every third day. A life saver, at one time I had 60 bars of chockie in the fridge. 

We also took a load of compo when we were on trek in Nepal. Lovely stuff.

Trevor Mansell

WO11 RAMC (Retd)

• Like 1