Falklands RN Senior Officers steel helmet

43rdrecce

Thought you might like to see this tin hat which I've had in my collection since 1982. This came via one of my brother's shipmates. They both served on HMS Fearless during the conflict and the helmet was one of those used on board.

The cam net always made me smile. I assume it was added to make the wearer look a little more 'war-ry' I wonder what you would use as garnish on one of HM warships? bits of grey painted steel?? Nevertheless a nice item and like most of my Falklands kit has seldom seen the light of day since I acquired it. This was one of the items I lent to the IWM in 1992 for their 10th Anniversary exhibition. Blimey doesn't time fly.

Cheers

Paul

ps Dated 1952, size 7, liner manufacturer FFL

Edited by 43rdrecce
more info

The tin hat shown is basically the post-war version of the old wartime RAC helmet for tank and armoured vehicle crews but updated in a similar fashion to the general service MK3 "turtle" helmet of 1943, that became the MK4 during 1945 with the fixed post providing easy removal of the lining......

It seems that the Royal Navy adopted the tank helmet post-war as the standard tin hat for wear on battle stations aboard ships......and it lasted until the late-1980s when the fibre GS MK6 took over.......

Interesting that the helmet shown retains the fibre and oilcloth liner that was generally replaced during the 1960s by the "improved" fibre, foam and stockinette MK5 lining as used in the general service MK5 tin hat (the "liner, itchy" as it was known)........arguably, the earlier liner was probably far more suited to use on ships where wear on exposed decks in rough seas would resist a soaking.....not so with the "liner, itchy"............

A very nice helmet though, good markings and history.......:-)

re the liner, I was issued with a tin lid in Cyprus early 1973; The greek community was at war with itself and the big civil war clouds were looming. It had the same old style liner, It also had the same tarry looking marks as this one; Our Sqn received a crate containing 50 helmets, liner ready fitted stacked about 10 high. the black marks are from the liner of the helmet stacked above. We had to pull them apart and some of the liners were in a real bad state. Oh yes I forgot to mention it was painted a fairly bright blue colour, marked POLICE. It was of the old tommy pattern !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we quickly got hold of some matt black paint and gave them a couple of quick coats.

The 44 pattern I was issued with at RAF Marham in 74, which I subsequently wore in thre 77/78 fire strike also had the early pattern liner. The liner was still fitted when I left Marham and that was 82-

TED

Edited by ted angus

re the liner, I was issued with a tin lid in Cyprus early 1973; The greek community was at war with itself and the big civil war clouds were looming. It had the same old style liner, It also had the same tarry looking marks as this one; Our Sqn received a crate containing 50 helmets, liner ready fitted stacked about 10 high. the black marks are from the liner of the helmet stacked above. We had to pull them apart and some of the liners were in a real bad state. Oh yes I forgot to mention it was painted a fairly bright blue colour, marked POLICE. It was of the old tommy pattern !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we quickly got hold of some matt black paint and gave them a couple of quick coats.

The 44 pattern I was issued with at RAF Marham in 74, which I subsequently wore in thre 77/78 fire strike also had the early pattern liner. The liner was still fitted when I left Marham and that was 82-

TED

Ted...."El-Adam.....with grass"......that was Marham...!!! I missed you by months.....I arrived there in late 82-83 with 55 & 57 Sqn on Victor Tankers (lovely old birds) & a Canberra OCU if I recall....?? I sadly didn't appreciate the beauty of Norfolk back then.......nowadays I yearn for the peace and serenity of the area.......:-)

Incredibly, I now live a stones throw from where I finished in the RAF in 85....(Greenham Common).........great for dog walking....if only I now had the dog.....

Ted...."El-Adam.....with grass"......that was Marham...!!! I missed you by months.....I arrived there in late 82-83 with 55 & 57 Sqn on Victor Tankers (lovely old birds) & a Canberra OCU if I recall....?? I sadly didn't appreciate the beauty of Norfolk back then.......nowadays I yearn for the peace and serenity of the area.......:-)

Incredibly, I now live a stones throw from where I finished in the RAF in 85....(Greenham Common).........great for dog walking....if only I now had the dog.....

Old grey cells I am afraid, I left there early jan 79 sorry I was leaving Bruggen in jan 82 My last tour was leuchars I too stayed in the next village -for the peace & serenity - except jet noise of course. my Lab is 13 I cannot imagine life without her .

Returning to the helmet, I have several helmets in my stash of bits and bobs, I must go and dig them out,

MODS sorry for subject drift

TED