Uprate a downrated bedford mk

garry taylor

Question

Hi

Ive recently got a Bedford Mk, its been downrated to 7.5 by svtec, but to my eyes, the back of the truck is not level, looks like the box on the back is to heavy, (box says its somthing like 4.3 ton...dont know if that true) but it has a new MOT as a caravan, so i get thre MOT guys would have spotted somthing up...

Im in Iceland now with the truck...and next year off to Africa....the truck will probley never get to England again...so im nt worryed about the legal downrated stuff..

but is there a way to easly fix this....i dont care if its rated 7.5 or 10 or 100,000ton im off to Africa...this stuff does not matter,just i want to avoid as many snaped leaf springs as possable

Any Ideas...i cant seem to upload photos...so the are some here on my site http://vikingsacrossafrica.webs.com/apps/photos/

Any sugestions would help...i cant workout what svtec took out

3 answers to this question

if they downrated it they cut the top extra spring plates they are easy to replace and the plates cost about 7.50 each to get as had to redo mine that had been cut

the pplates you need to check for are where the top springs go upwards there should be a l plate coming out from the chassis and the springs rest against them if they arnt there that is what you need to replace

my truck when it had the box on it was just touching the plates but when loaded was very far down now back as a gs truck neither side touches the l plates

gary yes the spring hangers are still there so i would suggest that you contact whoever downrated it but mine used to ride heavy on the back with a box body on it as the box is close to the weight limit without putting anything in it

rembering that the mk had a limit of 9 1/2 ton gross weight instead of the mj 10 1/2