OPERATION BOLERO - JUNE 2007

M5Clive

Evening Gents,

The idea for this TRUCK SHARING facility came about as a result of a section on http://www.redballexpress.co.uk where the thought of re-enactors and vehicle owners sharing the costs of fuel expenses was suggested in order to help more people and vehicles attend the BOLERO event.

Obviously January is very much early-doors in terms of confirmed vehicle attendence for a Summer event, however to date it looks to be:-

10 GMC's

2 Diamond-T wreckers

1 International Half track (M5A1)

1 M4A4 Sherman

1 M18 Hellcat Tank Destroyer

Numerous Jeeps, Dodges and other insignificants - He say's firmly tonge in cheek as the owner of a Dodge WC-56 :-D

There are also a bunch of guys from the Wiltshire region who are keen to TRUCK SHARE with anyone looking to help out with the running costs of GMC's to Suffolk for THE event of this year - OPERATION BOLERO, tour of the Dromes

Anyone interested?

Cds

I would like to come up from Dorset with my GMC, not looking to drive it up but looking for low loader help.

More than happy to drive to the next county or so for pick up.

Yours hopefully.

Jack.

Bodge Jeep,

Where is your mate coming from? Would be useful to know so that viewers of the thread can make a mental note if paths are likely to meet en route...strength in numbers etc!

We might end up with a little table of who is planning to head from where and when!

Cheers,

Neil

There is a convoy coming from Cumbria I think, via the MVT National Show at Kemble, in Gloucestershire.

If my memory serves me right, he is bringing a GMC, Chevrolet, Dodge and Jeep(s)?

So really, the answer Bodge Jeep is to tag along in the convoy with your Weapons Carrier - Safety in numbers and no fear of having a problem if you break-down. Much safer than coming to the event in your modern car :-o

Cds

• 2 weeks later...

Just got confirmation today that another Half-Track is making the event, this time from Wiltshire/Berkshire border.

It's an M-16 varient with maxson turret in the rear and looks the works 8-)

That makes two booked in, and a possible third in the balance.

Funny really, no doubt people will say "Whats an M-16 got to do with British Airfields?" The answer being, when Jim Skidmore, C-47 Troop carrier pilot based at Ramsbury Airfield (Station 469) returned to his old airfield in 2002, he told us that whenever he saw a unit of anti-aircraft Half-Tracks arrive at the base, they knew something was up. This turned out to be the first indication that D-Day was about to take place and the situation repeated itself in Sept 1944 for Operation Market Garden - The Holland Invasion.

So there you have it - Anti-aircraft vehicle mounted machine guns, for use in the event of an enemy attack, prior to the vast airborne-armada departing the airfields for Normandy and The invasion. (In hindsight, never needed of course)

So Anti-Aircraft Half-Tracks are relevant vehicles for an event commemorating US occupied airfields in the UK - Not that we needed much of an excuse of course anyway!

Cds

So Anti-Aircraft Half-Tracks are relevant vehicles for an event commemorating US occupied airfields in the UK - Not that we needed much of an excuse of course anyway!

That's a long explanation! "Because it looks cool" would have done for me too :)

• 3 weeks later...

Had word from a chap down near Brighton today that a group of them are looking to bring a GMC, a Dukw, Jeep and a Harley

All it takes is a few days of sunshine and all of a sudden people start to plan what shows they intend to do this year

The future's Bright! - As long as your not a Bernard Matthews Turkey!

Cds

Cds

In the 390th Bomb Group History Book, there is a picture of an M16 on the base, Framlingham for those who don't know!

I'm going - for CMV. Not sure if the boss isn't coming too. I will be using a modern car as my office (presumably) - don't think it is appropriate to use my Iltis - unless I can work out logistics some other way. Field Marshal Jack did offer his GMC as a press vehicle which sounds great, but nothing firm is arranged. I need to be able to keep ahead of things and cover all the angles. I want to meet as many of you as possible and take lots of pix (in addition to thinking up lots of words chosen at random). There is plenty of time. I hope....!

I'm going - for CMV. Not sure if the boss isn't coming too. I will be using a modern car as my office (presumably) - don't think it is appropriate to use my Iltis - unless I can work out logistics some other way. Field Marshal Jack did offer his GMC as a press vehicle which sounds great, but nothing firm is arranged. I need to be able to keep ahead of things and cover all the angles. I want to meet as many of you as possible and take lots of pix (in addition to thinking up lots of words chosen at random). There is plenty of time. I hope....!

You need a Jeep or a Harley, not a GMC...

I've moved my mid June holiday to the end of June now, so Lynne and I will be there with Jessie the jeep!

Steve

Oh well done Steve!

(we need to talk as we can charge Clive your consultancy fee - I will be your agent :-D)

I intend bringing the aircraft into some of the bases, HQ depending on final location, so if anyone want's to take some up to date aerial photos, let me know. Private use only, I'm afraid, can't do aerial work!

Flipping heck Adrian......you may wish you never posted that offer but well done you.

Can I put my name down and also one for Snapper.