Spare Bulb Tin

Dave Page

Hi,

I am seeking details on the spare bulb tin (box) that would be carried in WW2 British vehicles. I have seen blurry images of a small hingled lid tin that must be aprox. 4" x 2" x 3". Does anyone have an example they would be willing to measure and post images? It is a bit hard to find something that you don't really know what it looks like.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Lauren,

Thankyou for the images and measurements, it seems I was being a bit generous with my estimated dimensions. I guess the Canadian version would meet Fit and Function of the British tin, though the image of the British tin shows square corners whereas the Canadian has rounded corners.

An example will turn up eventually.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, there are a couple of these tins on eBay at the moment. I have one in a stowage in my Daimler. They actually date from WW1 believe it or not. Also used on Ferrets etc

Link to one of them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMALL-VINTAGE-WD-TIN-TRUNK-/230776573605?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item35bb5b0ea5#ht_500wt_922

Cheers

Paul

Edited by 43rdrecce
Getting rid of stupid tapatalk link!

Ps forgot to mention for small vehicles and the 15cwt's etc they seem to hold three bulbs. There is a cardboard packing inside with the requisite number of holes. The bulbs sit in these and there is normally a piece of tissue paper scrunched up in there too! They are shown in a lot of the vehicle handbooks I seem to recall. I think the Bedford MW might show it and the Austin Tilly instruction book I have certainly does.

The Daimler had 5 spare bulbs and they are usually individually wrapped in tissue paper from what I've seen.

I have on with the cardboard insert which I'll take a photo of when I get 5 mins.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

so that is what that tin is for, I have seen them and was always told they were grenade primer tins. Yes, please send an image of the packing material.

Seems rather small for a bulb tin but I suppose if packed correctly it will work.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Paul,

so that is what that tin is for, I have seen them and was always told they were grenade primer tins. Yes, please send an image of the packing material.

Seems rather small for a bulb tin but I suppose if packed correctly it will work.

Cheers,

Dave

I've got one of those as well (somewhere). I wondered what it was for!

• 1 year later...

Hi these are some of the W>D Spare bulb tins i have found, spark plug tins and a top left is a square tin which has 'spare springs, keep pins, washer and Insulators' stamped in it. The bulbs are a mix of mazda prefocused, lucas and ford, but can look in more detail. These were bought in auction between and after wars and have sat in a shed ever since. These were inside military looking toolboxes which i can photograph if they are relevant. Regards Andy

DSC_0583.JPG

DSC_0577.JPG

DSC_0578.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

DSC_0580.JPG

DSC_0581.JPG

DSC_0582.JPG

Hi these are some of the W>D Spare bulb tins i have found, spark plug tins and a top left is a square tin which has 'spare springs, keep pins, washer and Insulators' stamped in it. The bulbs are a mix of mazda prefocused, lucas and ford, but can look in more detail. These were bought in auction between and after wars and have sat in a shed ever since. These were inside military looking toolboxes which i can photograph if they are relevant. Regards Andy

Nice find!

If the toolboxes are the same vintage you may have found some CMP ones (the round cornered bulb boxes are Canadian manufactured ones as I understand it). You can see them in this photo - http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/CMP_tools_layout.jpg from http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/cmp_canadian_military_pattern.htm

Wow - great photo, are all those tools from on toolkit because I recognise several items on that photo. I'm taking my camera in the shed and will be back in a couple of hours......bear with me :)

Nice find!

If the toolboxes are the same vintage you may have found some CMP ones (the round cornered bulb boxes are Canadian manufactured ones as I understand it). You can see them in this photo - http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/CMP_tools_layout.jpg from http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/cmp_canadian_military_pattern.htm

Ok here are a few tool boxes, long bar sockets, big pistons H&G 9014'S, 5 ford 4x7.25inch piston sleeves, various spanners (I have thousands of spanners, these are unnamed or have dates like 1943 or snail with dates). Ive got loads to sort through. A stationary engine / generator diesel tank (looks military would last weeks). If any can recognise the little plug spanners 3x with a screwdriver/allen key bar I would be grateful. Large jacks, which im find with railway as they are named but these have no name and are not track jacks........ Boxes of shims..... for something.....

DSC_0589.JPG

1.JPG

DSC_0577.JPG

DSC_0578.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

DSC_0580.JPG

DSC_0581.JPG

DSC_0582.JPG

DSC_0584.JPG

DSC_0585.JPG

DSC_0586.JPG

DSC_0587.JPG

DSC_0588.JPG

Ok here are a few tool boxes, long bar sockets, big pistons H&G 9014'S, 5 ford 4x7.25inch piston sleeves, various spanners (I have thousands of spanners, these are unnamed or have dates like 1943 or snail with dates). Ive got loads to sort through. A stationary engine / generator diesel tank (looks military would last weeks). If any can recognise the little plug spanners 3x with a screwdriver/allen key bar I would be grateful. Large jacks, which im find with railway as they are named but these have no name and are not track jacks........ Boxes of shims..... for something.....

Hi,

your first photo shows a tray with some box spanners in. Do you have any 6-sided ones which are 3 3/16" and 3 1/8" ?

Edited by Richard Farrant

Ok - interesting , I'm gonna start my first ever thread :) so I don't upset the original thread , with the pictures and try and copy the questions/answers across. I've had a few mails and it seems i've found the right place. I'll speak to the moderator and see if the classified or auction is the right place, I have reserved a few items for members who have helped with information of what to look out for, but there is a lot of boxes of who knows what so a sale on here may make it easier, but it helps to know what your selling and I have lots of vintage car, bike, boat parts and I don't want to sell bits as some things i have are in parts spread over several barns and i'm trying to piece things back together. For example, I have lots of jacks and hundreds of steel bars and handles, it just takes me a while to recreate a union.... Regards Andy

No its a hex both ends, I posted a pic in the other thread... they are sold but I have at least another box of them somewhere....

In the photo showing the six black wheel brace socket bars, does the one on the left hand end have a square recess one end and a hex the other? If so, does it have any manufacturer's markings on it?

- MG