Burma Spitfires , check your piggy banks

ruxy

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"A former schoolteacher who had studied the 18th Century Enlightenment to postgraduate level, he seemed to struggle to comprehend the Burmese approach to business and bureaucracy."

:D:D:D After living in SEA since '96 I can definately say there is a very different "approach to business and bureaucracy"

I could well imagine his lack of preparedness to the situation.

The problem I forsee now, is even if they do see something there will be years of legal litigation similar to the Japanese submarine full of gold, as from memory that is still ongoing between the person who found it and the person who financed it.

It will be a pity to see this guy get dragged through the mud for believing in something and perhaps ignoring the other facts that may disprove his belief, as many people can have that problem. A bit like bringing a rusty green heap home and telling the wife "this is about the story, the background, the archaeological research" :-D Damn that's catchy, I might use that after my next junk trip

The RAF did indeed keep meticulous records of all aircraft ordered. So we can look at contracts for Spitfire XIV and find out the serial numbers reserved for those aircraft. It's then possible to look at the career of each aircraft, and if these chaps have investigated the records then it would be clear if any "mint in box" spitfires were sent to Burma and left there.

The RAF did indeed keep meticulous records of all aircraft ordered. So we can look at contracts for Spitfire XIV and find out the serial numbers reserved for those aircraft. It's then possible to look at the career of each aircraft, and if these chaps have investigated the records then it would be clear if any "mint in box" spitfires were sent to Burma and left there.

Unfortunately, they were not so meticulous in recording disposal information. Many cards simply state 'presumed SOC'.

Unfortunately, they were not so meticulous in recording disposal information. Many cards simply state 'presumed SOC'.

Leaving aside any record of disposal for a moment - if there are records for all aircraft, there should therefore be some records which show some spitfires shipped to far east but not having any "career" so to speak. Or is that being too logical?

Leaving aside any record of disposal for a moment - if there are records for all aircraft, there should therefore be some records which show some spitfires shipped to far east but not having any "career" so to speak. Or is that being too logical?

To apply logic you need a Vulcan

Mike

Having spent far too many hours working with these records, that's what i was going to say. Yes many cards list them as simply SOC, however they will say what MU took delivery of them. As there was apparently no mass shipment of unused Spitfire XIVs to Burma it tends to lend credence against Mr Cundall's argument.

Please complete the following phrase:

If you think about it, the whole idea of burying aircraft so they could be kept away from enemy eyes, and then dug up and got flying quicker and with less risk of alerting the enemy of your intentions than flying them in from elsewhere, is pretty_________ .

Clever? I'm right aren't I?

Especially since there was still Singapore, Australia and New Zealand as places to ship aircraft from. All much, much easier than digging them up and putting them together without anyone noticing. Not least because you would still need to ship the people in to do the digging and building!

Also hasn't questioned the "eyewitness" that if these were in crates, how did he know they were Spitfires? People who would have been involved in the operation have said it didn't happen, and there is no paperwork to say it happened. I was even contacted by the MT driver who was personal driver to the AOC Burma and was with the last RAF group to leave Burma. He was involved in helping dispose of a lot material, including dropping machine gun and cannon ammunition into the Bay of Bengal from the cargo door of Dakota's and shipping bombs to remote sites to detonate them. Even the last handful of Bedford QLs were used to take the rearguard to docks whereupon the keys were handed over to their new owner before the RAF hopped on a ship to Singapore. He never heard anything about spitfires being buried.

There is a large lack of evidence to support the buried Spitfire theory, if he finds some then that's great but you have to ask, why didn't he research it more before getting people to throw their money at him?

I think the whole story is flawed. I'm sure we've all heard rumors about ww2 items being buried in certain locations but I doubt whether I believe any or many of them. The issue I have, is where is the logic in burying X amount of Spitfires, worth a ridiculous amount of money. I would have thought if the UK government didnt want them they would have sold them.

The other issue I have is reciting the memory of a WW2 veteran about this, humans have an amazing ability to tell themselves that something has happen and after time actually believe it, based on little to no evidence. No I think this person has only a vivid recollection of the event and has jumped to conclusions.

I doubt they'd find anything, if they do it'll be a couple of spare parts.

....worth a ridiculous amount of money........

Probably actually worth very little. There was still mountains of scrap aluminium piled up in England from the 'Pots & Pans' drive, and prop driven aircraft were now becoming obselete due to the jet age. Whether they would have been burried or burned is another matter, but we are still seeing the military dumping airframes and other gear in holes in the ground today, so who's to say.

Give him credit for getting off his sofa, spending £150k of his own money and actually looking for them, rather than sitting at home speculating on the internet. I'm wondering how much of the hype, media conferences etc are for the benefit of the TV documentary being made about the search. I can't help but think of the disclaimer at the end of many 'reality' shows that says "Some scenes have been created for entertainment purposes!"

They weren't worth the cost of shipping them back, Europe & the US was littered with surplus aircraft.

Remember that there were hundreds of Japanese planes sat on airfields in Indonesia, the Philipines & various islands into the 1960s, before it became viable to either take them to a smelter or bring the smelter to them.

Heaps of P38s were buried under Clark Field, planes were pushed off carrier decks, which comes to another "crated aircraft dumped" story, all those Seafires & Corsairs supposedly dumped in their crates somewhere off Australia.

More rumoured dumped kit here http://www.ozatwar.com/ozatwar/dumped.htm

There was supposed to be lots of kit dumped in Lough Erne near Enniskillen in County Fermanagh. I was asked many years ago if I would help retrieve some of the Jeeps that were dumped. I didn`t as the gear was supposed to be covered in razor wire :shocked:.

If you want a Sunderland there has been sonar surveys carried out in Lough Erne and again there is supposed to be a few sitting on the Lough bottom.

Water visibilty less than 1" due to the peat water.