Communicating between vehicles while driving.

Mark

If you only want internal vehicle communications. I remember as I boy if you got 2 pairs of headphones & 2 moving coil microphones wired them all in series with a 6volt battery. Then you could both speak & listen to each other, if the volume wasn't sufficient then increase it to 9v or 12v.

Or if the wasn't enough volume & you didn't like hearing yourself in your own headphones then make two rigs ie Your mike wired in series with other persons headphones & 6volt battery, then an identical system for the other person.

But I would use torch batteries, I wouldn't connect this lot up to the vehicle wiring as the earth side of the mikes may short out to the chassis.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've confused me by merging the topics, but I'm easily confused anyway so don't worry about it.

First of all, my Clansman installation in the Militant.

width=350 height=467http://aecmilitant.co.uk/pictures/clansman1.jpg[/img]

Left hand side of the cab. IB3 box with power supply coming in at bottom from above door. Harness from right of IB3 box to left of Crew box above. Harness from right of Crew box going round back of cab to other Crew box. Headset plugged in to bottom of Crew box.

width=350 height=344http://aecmilitant.co.uk/pictures/clansman2.jpg[/img]

Right hand side of cab. Harness from back of cab in to left of Crew box. Headset plugged in to bottom of Crew box.

Although some Mk3 Militant Recoverys were fitted for Clansman, this is not an original fitment. I looked at a few proper Clansman fitments in armoured vehicles, worked out what I needed and bought the bits at Beltring. I then bolted it all in where it fitted best.

I think I paid £120 for an IB3 box, two crew boxes, four headsets and four Pressel switches from Johnsons. Add another £20 or so for the power and harness cables.

Going back to my question, presumably the Clansman headset has got a +ve & -ve supply for mike, left earpone and right earphone.

The PMR headset will have the same, but probably with the same feed for both earphones.

Are they compatible ?

Is it simply a matter of connecting the PMR directly to one side of the Clansman headset leaving the other side for intercom ?

Or can I connect the PMR to the IB3 box as if it was a Clansman radio.

I would p[refer to use PMR because I have already got it and I like the VOX option, but if CB would be easier I can go with that.

Sorry about the merge Graham thought it best if the same topics were together, nice install by the way and that i think is the way I want to go, not so much worried about V to V just internal comms will do me.

I cannot see why a PMR system will not work, someone on here will know how

SafariSwing;

Well, I've read through that and I'm going to have to admit it's beyond me. :?

The writer makes it sound like a straightforward enough job for someone who is used to repairing radios. What I need is for someone to put all that in a box with a Clansman plug on one side and a PMR plug on the other, then sell it at a reasonable price.

Do you think any radio enthusiast would be interested in doing that, and if so, what would the cost be roughly ?

Mick;

I've used Clansman intercom in a Ferret, Samson & Militant.

Yes, it can be heard clearly regardless of how much other noise is going on. I have had normal clear conversations with the driver while standing through the commanders hatch of the Samson at 50mph with the tracks howling, the exhaust roaring, the wind whistling and the overall din of an armoured vehicle.

We have never really used the intercom in the ferret. I just can't really be asked with it, the boy just shouts me out at junctions.

So seen as I have no experience of the Ferret intercom, can it still be heard over the engine and transmission? :?

Mick.

Mick,

the headphones cut out loads of engine/transmission noise & you can hear your commander clearly.. if you are not using head sets you should be using ear defenders especially at speeds over 60mph

SafariSwing;

Well, I've read through that and I'm going to have to admit it's beyond me. :?

The writer makes it sound like a straightforward enough job for someone who is used to repairing radios. What I need is for someone to put all that in a box with a Clansman plug on one side and a PMR plug on the other, then sell it at a reasonable price.

Do you think any radio enthusiast would be interested in doing that, and if so, what would the cost be roughly ?

You could try contacting these guys for advice http://www.vmars.org.uk/ or the Clansman Forum http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clansman_larkspur/

Ian,

I think there is problems with just connecting across one battery on a 24v system, can't remember what they are but I'm sure Clive.E or Richard.F. will fill in the blanks..

Lee,

Clive will give you the technical reasons for that I'm sure, but all I was going to point out was that in HGV's, they plug in a voltage dropper 24 to 12v to run things such as CB, phone chargers, the more reliable way which will not affect one battery.

Richard

Just had a thought that no one appears to have come up with, that is two way intercom used by motorcycle riders and their pillions. A friend of mine flew 2 seater microlights and used a similar set up. If you can hear each other over the row one of those make, then they must be pretty good.

Also, when we used to take armoured vehicles out for road test, all the tels. equipment was dekitted and we had AFV helmets converted with a very short range radio. It was about the size of a cigarette packet on a lead, slipped into your pocket, no plugging in to the vehicle, which made it handy if you demounted to direct them, etc. Range was about 100 yards. Seem to remember the unit was made by Midland and had rechargeable batteries in it.

Richard

Just had a thought that no one appears to have come up with, that is two way intercom used by motorcycle riders and their pillions. A friend of mine flew 2 seater microlights and used a similar set up. If you can hear each other over the row one of those make, then they must be pretty good.

Also, when we used to take armoured vehicles out for road test, all the tels. equipment was dekitted and we had AFV helmets converted with a very short range radio. It was about the size of a cigarette packet on a lead, slipped into your pocket, no plugging in to the vehicle, which made it handy if you demounted to direct them, etc. Range was about 100 yards. Seem to remember the unit was made by Midland and had rechargeable batteries in it.

Richard

Like this? http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr1229.html

Lee,

The one you have linked to is a bit more elaborate than I was thinking of for motorcyclists, they were pure intercoms, that one would connect with other bikes, not sure how good the range would be inside a vehicle.

The ones we used on AFV's was purely switch on, then it used the voice activated boom mike, no frequency changes, etc.

Richard

Mick,

the headphones cut out loads of engine/transmission noise & you can hear your commander clearly.. if you are not using head sets you should be using ear defenders especially at speeds over 60mph

Jesus Lee ear defenders are always used in the beast, I'm already half deaf in my right ear from just generally loud motorbikes, shooting and sometimes the Ferret.

We only went on a little journey the other day and I accidentally left my ear defenders in the shed, bloody hell my ears were ringing when we got back! :cry:

I think I shall treat ours to a new transmission sooner or later because its a bit whiny. Hopefully with a new tranny it should be much quieter.

So yep I think that soon the intercom sounds like a good idea.

Mick.

Mick,

I really doubt a new transmission will make much difference! Mine has a fairly new gearbox in it and it still wines! Before someone asks, yes it does have oil in it, and the correct grade. We always use the Clansman intercom and have it fitted in all our AFVs. I use the Active Noise Reduction equipment, these boxes have yellow fronts. When the correct headsets are plugged in they cancel out engine/gearbox/wind noise. Even the ordinary headsets are much quieter, and safer, than shouting!

Chris

Mick,

at £350 that was a great deal, try finding one for less than £600 now! You can replace the brake bands if required. Have you tried pumping the GCP 30 times in 2nd? That might fix it, especially if it only happens sometimes.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Yes it sure was a good deal, I had browsed before and found others that were far more.

You still have to search deep into the pocket for £350!!

I bought a generator and a few other bits like new distributor for it because they seem worthy parts to have.

We shall have to try the GCP trick.....

Thanks,

Mick.

Below are some systems and suppliers. The simplest, is the PMR500TX. This does the lot in one box, and includes an FM radio to boot!

For safety, the diver should not have control of the radio. And any intercom should of the no PTT (push to talk) (Clansman live mic) type.

If you have an installed system, make sure that any headsets have “snatch” connectors. Or you could damage the kit or yourself if you get out and forget to unplug!

I did mod a truck load of Clansman type helmets years ago so that these had “civil” type connectors. I can supply details, but it’s not a simple job and you will be crawling the walls in no time!

We now (for work), only mod AFV helmets with the motorbike kits for open face helmets.

We have found that having a system powered by the vehicle electrics is prone to interference. A self contained system can also be moved from vehicle to vehicle, or used dismounted.

As PMR 446 radios have fixed antennas, the radio needs to be outside the main body of an armoured vehicle to be effective. The top pocket of the vehicle commander works well, or we have put the radio in a Tupperware box on the top of the turret.

A magnet in the box stops it falling off, but makes it simple to hide at a halt.

http://www.446user.co.uk/redirect/redirect.php?url=http://www.starcom1.com

http://www.airsoftmart.net/catalog/firefox-throat-mics-radios-motorsports-c-139_109_129.html

http://www.tti.uk.com/products/proddetail.asp?pc=PMR-500TX

http://www.tti.uk.com/products/proddetail.asp?pc=AE-500

http://www.autocom.co.uk/pdf/Autocom_Brochure_06-06.pdf

Sorry, Norman the storeman is poorly sick so this is the best I can do from my own files!