Raf cosford visit

Well I went there today with son and she who must be obeyed :D and had a great day especially as the weather was rubbish >:(

Nice examples of a few items and wanted to share for those that haven't been to RAF Cosford Museum.

20120409_143705.jpg

20120409_133427.jpg

20120409_133504.jpg

20120409_133448.jpg

20120409_133514.jpg

20120409_133608.jpg

20120409_133628.jpg

20120409_135313.jpg

20120409_135548.jpg

20120409_140112.jpg

20120409_140156.jpg

20120409_142935.jpg

20120409_142944.jpg

20120409_143009.jpg

Missle??????

Good question as I was lucky to get those images as Henri-D was running around like a chimp on E numbers, he was so excited!................He had a brilliant day I must confess.

I noticed a lot of differnces there, but didn't spot the Malkara. I am guessing it was in the Cold War Hanger, with all the other missles and weapons of MD!..........

Ooops I feel I have failed the FV1600 fraternity today.:cry:

I enjoyed the 'Fat Albert' in the overspill carpark..........Great Tool.

I was looking at the Hagglunds for colour scheme for Norway. DP white and black....They also did all White......Mark Cook's book also mentioned white with black and green over???????????

Now that would be interesting cammo for a Commando Winterised Lightweight......:-)

Wayne I don't know where it would be these days. They had a couple of Swingfires, some Rapiers & a Mk 1A Malkara. I was there 20 or so years ago, it was an emergency services rally. It was in the days when we had a National Coal Board so that must be going back, anyway they had a Mines Rescue vehicle there I remember.

Sorry I meant they had it there at the rally not as a museum exhibit. I remember it in particular because part of their kit they had on display was a canary cage. At the bottom of the cage was an oxygen cylinder to revive the canary! I'm not sure whether this was because the lads down in the pit would be upset if their little mate was sacrificed or whether the NCB only allow them say one canary a year & it was to save buying another!

Oh I see! Any guidance on the 3 different known to me colour schemes to Norway (etc) vehicles from your archive.

I see the All White Cdo LTWT in MC's book as an image, but he refers to White and Black. AKA Hagglunds BV206 and he also refers to a White base with green and black DP over.............

This last one intrigues me the most and would love to see an image on an inservice vehicle for that.

Sorry I meant they had it there at the rally not as a museum exhibit. I remember it in particular because part of their kit they had on display was a canary cage. At the bottom of the cage was an oxygen cylinder to revive the canary! I'm not sure whether this was because the lads down in the pit would be upset if their little mate was sacrificed or whether the NCB only allow them say one canary a year & it was to save buying another!

I was there that day, that canary was a valuable gas alarm, but it didnt take much to revive them.

Mark

Malkara ?? do you mean Ikara, torpedo launcher ? last time I was there (6 months ago ) it was at bottom of the stairway. BillyH.

Yes I think I saw an Ikara there, which is a seaborne missile. I also remember Malkara which was from Australia as well but was a vehicle launched anti-tank guided missile.

My favourite will always be XR220, the TSR-2 that would have flown but for a faulty fuel pump .... :-(

Andy

I thought it never go to fly because of budget cuts axed the whole project.

Just checked the planes history on the Cosford site and there was a last minute delay due to a faulty fuel pump.

Mind you the 6 months repair after falling off the back of a lorry probably did not help either.

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/collections/aircraft/aircraft_histories/84-A-1171%20TSR-2%20XR220.pdf

It's great here, you learn something new everyday.

Mike

I thought it never go to fly because of budget cuts axed the whole project.

Just checked the planes history on the Cosford site and there was a last minute delay due to a faulty fuel pump.

Mike

My point exactly - had it not had a faulty fuel pump it would have been in the air while the budget cancellation was announced.

Andy