Tick bite

timbo

Mountain biking in Lakes this Sunday and have just found one on back of my knee...b*gger b*gger bl*ody b*gger...!!!

Checked my legs for them when I finished but this was behind my knee so didnt notice it til it started itching tonight. Also pulled it out before realising what it is (big nono), and have felt a bit fluey for last day or so (but now thinking it is psychological!)..

I will keep an eye on the bite for the next day or so and get some antibiotics if symptons persist....never thought this would happen to me so if out walking - check your legs people!!!!

Horrible things aint they mate ! My collies sometimes get them when we holiday in Scotland ! Vet sold me a little tool which is like a bent two pronged fork , you slip it around the ticks neck and twist and out they come without leaving the head and teeth stuck in the skin ! Makes me itch thinking about them !:nut:

This isn't to be taken lightly, go to the docs and make sure the head is out.

It may be fine, it may be a zap with nitrogen and a root out, either way its peace of mind.

I use a tiny green hook that looks like a miniature crowbar for removing them, works really well, hook it under and twiddle it gently round and the tic detaches itself. I put a dod of anthisan on the bite area then just to make sure.

Not had many, maybe 3 in the last 10 years but they are evil buggers.

Alec.

You can get tick removeing forceps cheap enough from outdoor shops. I remember an incident where someone on the forum had one he could not reach. Pass the scalpel! :cool2: Wash area thoruoghly with soap and leave wound uncovered is the best First Aid advice.

some one close to me had this tick bite thought nothing of it then muscle cramps joints seized up visited gp blood tests long wait for results yep u have lymes disease ! thankfully over it now go and see gp and dont let em fob u off!!!

Ok just on train now on way to work, it is all out, antibiotics for 2 weeks, then back in 4. Go back straight away if flu like symptoms develop..fingers crossed.

To top it all i went over the bars on the downhill stretch as well, but did manage to capture it on my new helmet cam!

Thanks all for advice...

Timbo

Ok just on train now on way to work, it is all out, antibiotics for 2 weeks, then back in 4. Go back straight away if flu like symptoms develop..fingers crossed.

To top it all i went over the bars on the downhill stretch as well, but did manage to capture it on my new helmet cam!

Thanks all for advice...

Timbo

Glad you went to doctors and got sorted. Need to see you go over the bars tho from helmet cam!!!! Sorry but that bit did make me LOL!!

I went to Germany (Hurtgenforest) last sept and noticed a very small tick walking over my hand and got him before he got me.

Another guy in our group found 2 tics who had bitten him.

Nasty critters.

Get a Tick kit.

Some also have a test kit to check the tick itself for disease.

Yep Lymes Disease nasty and never leaves you just lies dormant in your body/blood. Got bitten on exercise in Kentucky and also called Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. We got issued cards to carry and inform doc/medics that we were exposed to it etc.

Waiting for it to resurface and more pain again, even after 20 years

Gary

Never had one myself, but our dog used to get them now and again when we had been out walking on fields etc.

Was advised to dab a bit of meths on them before removing them. Apparently it effectively gets them p*ss*d and they forget to hold on. then you can pick them off cleanly with the little crowbar tool. Horrible little things.

Several of us got deer ticks at a BOAR event in Belgium a few years ago and it was me that had the one that I couldn't get at, could feel it but not see it! I had the embarrassment of it being dug out by Major Tom using Swiss Army knife while I was lying on a camp bed and surrounded by other group members laughing at my expense.

They cement themselves in so if you're not careful you can leave bits behind, hence the digging with the knife. The amount of alcohol consumed at the event acted as a painkiller and antibiotic!

They are truly revolting little barstwards, another member took great delight with holding a lighter under any she spotted hanging off the long grass.

Glad you went to doctors and got sorted. Need to see you go over the bars tho from helmet cam!!!! Sorry but that bit did make me LOL!!

I will see if I can upload it - will lighten an otherwise depressing thread (for me anyway!!!!)

With the ticks over here we take the oil from an engine dipstick and flood their rear ass..etts as this is where they breath. They have no choice but to back out, head and all. Northern bush trick with an automotive slant.

Drew

With the ticks over here we take the oil from an engine dipstick and flood their rear ass..etts as this is where they breath. They have no choice but to back out, head and all. Northern bush trick with an automotive slant.

Drew

Problem is that they regurgitate before letting go!. You don't feel them walking on you and their bite is painless (apparently they aenesthetise the skin where they bite), it is best to inspect oneself every day as you need to find them before 24 hours lapse. They also bond to the skin at the bite. They then drink and then start regurgitating small amounts after that.

Of all the methods, the safest one is the little crowbar method, hook them as close to the skin as possible to bet hold of the head parts, apply some pressure and after 30 seconds or so, they come off. To much force and their head parts break off. Any other method where you apply petrol, parafin, wax, oil, detergents or any such things, causes them to reguritate as they struggle to undo the bonding effect, and unhook the teeth. Also, their "teeth" hooks to the outside! Try not to touch them by hand either and if you do, wash your hands very carefully with soap.

On a simular note......

A few weeks back i'm in the bath and notice what I thought was a zit in my bottom region.

This was sunday night, by wednesday it was the size of a brussell sprout!!!!!

Went to the doctors and he said it was an infected boil, and gave me anti biotics and said if it didnt start going down in 2 days I would have to go to A+E to get it lanced! eeeek!

2 days later it had gotten bigger so of I went to A+E.

Doctor said he would have to lance it and said he would give me a local anesthetic.

I think to myself ' don't panic rambo, youve had a needle before'.

When he stuck the needle in I screamed so loud you could have heard me miles away!!!!!

He then cut a 1cm hole and drianed the boil.

I really wished I had gone to the doctors straight away.

On a simular note......

A few weeks back i'm in the bath and notice what I thought was a zit in my bottom region.

Far too much information Rambo.

I seem to be the target for mossies, whereever I go, although found a good product in Aus last month called Bushmans, that repelled the little bar stewards.

I used to get more of these than the dogs when I was a woodsman and never had any side effects (oi who said something) but I do know folks who have caught lymes disease and he has knocked them about for years so yes a good idea for anyone who has had one to go and see their Dr.

Anti clockwise twist will sort them.