Fox CVR(W) in N.I.

Marmite!!

Chris,

that photo I sent you that you have on your site of 09FD83 has been scrapped & I have whats left of it in the barn including the number plate.. Only one number off mine.. 09FD82, maybe mines lurking it that lot somewhere..

09FD83.JPG

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo link repaired

Hi Guys. Anyone know where to go when Bovvie does not have the vehicle record. I have FOX 01 GM 00 which had been misregistered as 01 CM 00 in the past but I still cannot find a service record ?All the best Mark

Mark try a search here for £25

Attn. Erica Spencer

Royal Logistic Corps Museum

Princess Royal Barracks

Deepcut

Camberely

Surrey

GU16 6RW

or be being a member of EMLRA I think its £2 to have a search done on the MERLIN system. I have had a search done on a Pig with no problem, but the info for this was basic, not a record card as such.

• 2 weeks later...

Incredibly enough this same discussion is going on on the Army Rumour Service RAC forum (http://www.arrse.co.uk).

An impeccable source (my best man, subsequently RSM of the Light Dragoons) assures me that in the Spring of 76 a Fox and a Scorpion were clandestinely brought into our camp in Omagh in ISO containers in order that 15/19H could carry out gunnery conversion from Chieftain to 30mm (Fox / Scimitar) and 76mm (Scorpion), since 15/19H had gone to Omagh from Fallingbostel as armour, but left Omagh as Recce.

Drivers returned to the mainland to be retrained. This left the troop short of drivers and the sprog me, with a Group A car licence, to drive a section Landrover or a Mark 2 Ferret with no training other than "The gear change sequence is different: select the gear, hit the GCP(gear change pedal) and release: the gearbox will do everything else." With absolutely no concept of a preselective gearbox, it took a lot of getting used to.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this thread:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=29731/start=120.html

The (currently) four postings in page 9 are from me, my best man and a guy I have known since my pre-army mid-teens (the latter, aka Hat Mackem, who posted the Fox picture, is second from the right in the back row of the picture).