Fox CVR(W) in N.I.

Marmite!!

As my Fox served in N.I. I'm just trying to gather a bit of info..

Has anyone got any in-service photos of the Fox in N.I. ? When did the Fox first serve in N.I. & when did they leave?

I presume the crew had 9mm Browning's for side arms as there is 9mm mag holder in there but what other weapons did they have? I have seen a photo of the turret crew with SLR's but where were these stored when not in use? When did they stop using the No.36 Mills with the Fox?

Any other info would be much appreciated..Thanks

As my Fox served in N.I. I'm just trying to gather a bit of info..

Has anyone got any in-service photos of the Fox in N.I. ? When did the Fox first serve in N.I. & when did they leave?

Lee,

Do you know what unit used your Fox? There was a squadron of The Royal Yeomanry based in Belfast, who were equipped with Foxes. A TA unit, D (North Irish Horse ) Squadron, I do not think they would not have been involved in internal troubles, their role being in Germany in recce work if every a conflict occured with the East. I am sure Neil Stevens could tell you more, as he was once with A Squadron R.Yeo according to some of his past messages on here.

Richard

Lee this is the only NI Fox pic I have. It appeared in Soldier caption is 2 RTR on patrol in Castlederg Sept 1979

FoxNI.jpg

I have a lot of REME SITREPS 1969-76 all the usual vehicles mentioned but no mention of Fox. I have 2 books on the history of RTR. Forty's book is a bit thin on NI. Macksey's book has a NI chapter no mention of Fox, lots of other vehicles mentioned. Both use that picture of 2 RTR Ferret marked Womble 2 with appropriate picture.

BTW the VRN is 11 FD 27, yours?

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo link repaired

Richard,

I have been told that the entry "13.12.76 VSD N.I." stands for Northern Ireland but this could be completely wrong & my Fox has been nowhere the place... here's the info off Form 419B

09 FD 82

D.I.S 09.04.75

09.04.75 V.D. LUDGERHALL (ADPCON 16 APRIL 1975)

09.06.75 RAC CENTRE BOVINGTON

31.07.75 VD LUDGERSHALL

13.12.76 VSD N.I.

06.01.77 D SQN RY R (V)

20.08.84 CODE CHANGE FROM 7000 TO 8000

06.01.87 LUDGERSHALL

23.01.87 34 BASE WRKSHOP (PLANNED REPAIR)

28.09.87 LUDGERSHALL

24.11.87 1 QUEENS (REAR PARTY)

14.11.881 QUEENS

06.02.96 S/O

Lee this is the only NI Fox pic I have. It appeared in Soldier caption is 2 RTR on patrol in Castlederg Sept 1979

I have a lot of REME SITREPS 1969-76 all the usual vehicles mentioned but no mention of Fox. I have 2 books on the history of RTR. Forty's book is a bit thin on NI. Macksey's book has a NI chapter no mention of Fox, lots of other vehicles mentioned. Both use that picture of 2 RTR Ferret marked Womble 2 with appropriate picture.

BTW the VRN is 11 FD 27, yours?

Hi Clive

thanks for that, haven't seen that one before, my Fox is 09 FD 82, I have just posted the history in another post.. Cheers

Lee,

Just out of interest, who was it sold off to? Here are 2RTR again, doing some driver training in Omagh.

Chris

Chris,

cheers for that, it dosen't say on the form, it just says "S/O" I think Jon said it came out of Withams but not from a tender sale.. I'll check with him when I next see him..

Lee,

I got mine from Withams, but it was not sold off to them! It went to Ricardos, who I am told were going to put a diesel in it. They bought it on 26/2/96, are you sure yours doesn't say 26 instead of 06? I would have thought they would have been sold at the same time.

Chris

09 FD 82

D.I.S 09.04.75

09.04.75 V.D. LUDGERHALL (ADPCON 16 APRIL 1975)

09.06.75 RAC CENTRE BOVINGTON

31.07.75 VD LUDGERSHALL

13.12.76 VSD N.I.

06.01.77 D SQN RY R (V)

20/8/84 CODE CHANGE FROM 7000 TON 8000

06.01.87 LUDGERSHALL

23.01.87 34 BASE WRKSHOP (PLANNED REPAIR)

28.09.87 LUDGERSHALL

24/11/87 1 QUEENS (REAR PARTY)

06/02/96 S/O

Lee,

I looks as I thought, it was issued from VSD N. Ireland a few weeks after they recieved it, to D Sqn Royal Yeomanry, a TA unit. I used to work on C Sqn and HQ Sqn Foxes, as well as all the other A vehs that came in from them. Looks like it went to 34 Base for overhaul and then to storage at Ludgershall depot. Then issued to 1 Queens, I cannot recollect Queens ever using them, I know Royal Irish Rangers and Royal Green Jackets did.

So doubtful it was used in NI peacekeeping role.

Richard

It went to Ricardos, who I am told were going to put a diesel in it.

Chris,

Those that went to Ricardos, if distant memory serves me right, were destined for Mexico after conversions. The project fell though and I thought that all this batch had been stripped of engines and ancillaries. I do remember seeing some in a local dealers and thought they may have come from Ludgershall sales, going back to around 1996/97 here.

Richard

Richard,

Yes my Fox came without the engine and ancillaries, as did Lee's. When I went to get mine there were 12 in the yard in a similar state. I do not know how many in total were stripped of engines though. It is something I would like to find out more about.

Chris

P.S. Any idea where this photo was taken?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Richard,

Yes my Fox came without the engine and ancillaries, as did Lee's. When I went to get mine there were 12 in the yard in a similar state. I do not know how many in total were stripped of engines though. It is something I would like to find out more about.

Chris

Chris,

No idea with the photo, but think it is after they left Ricardos at Shoreham. Where did the photo come from?

I remember someone from R Yeo telling me, before they were withdrawn from their unit, that they were re-equiping with L/R recce vehicles and that the Foxes were going to Mexico, with a differnt turret. Some I saw much later in a dealers yard, post-Ricardo, had feint chalk wording, "Mexico"on them ,so story ties up. So it looks like R Yeo vehicles were used for this project, as to how many, don't know. I believe your Fox is from A Sqn (Royal Wilts Yeo) R Yeo, so again this ties in.

the VRN is 11 FD 27,

Clive,

Looking through some of my old time records from work, I see that I worked on 11FD21 in 1980 and it was touring Kent on a recruitment drive with the 2RTR. As these Foxes appeared to have been issued in batches to units with following numbers, this ties up with your pic of 11FD27. I particularly remember the vehicle, because I had the steering unit out for repair and the 2RTR team wanted it for Beltring.....which it was. Whether I got a beer from them, I cannot remember :-)

Richard

Ludgershall 1995. I was there too:

10FD78.jpg

Nearby were some turretless ones including one with the reg 00 HA 06 not seen that series before.

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo link repaired

Nearby were some turretless ones including one with the reg 00 HA 06 not seen that series before.

I have, on page72 of Tanks Ilustrated No22 "Scorpion" there's a photo of 00HA08 on Sailsbury Plain with the Royal Hussars.. Chris has already posted the Photo underneath this one in the book so he may able to post this one too.

Here's the Peak turreted vehicle, Polecat? It is now in Scotland. The photo I posted before came from Lee, along with a load of others. They are on my Fox website, http://www.cvrw.co.uk I am slowly piecing together the article for the history section, and now have 50 or so vehicles on the owners list.

Clive do you have any more photos you can send over?

Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

Did they make many turretless Fox's and did they all look like that?

No not the same thing, these turretless one were at Ludgershall 1995. I assume the turrets went onto Scorpions to make them into Sabres.

00HA06.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo link repaired

Clive,

I thought that was odd for a Vixen to be on GM, all ones seen are SP, then saw caption to Chris's pic in following message, it was a Peak turreted CVR(W).

Richard

Yes sorry a slip of the tongue. I last saw it at Bovy June 2000, why did it go to Scotland? wasn't it interesting enough for the Tank Museum :dunno: It's as if the RAC didn't use wheeled armour, its always tanks :cry: :cry:

Polecat1.jpg

Polecat2.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo link repaired

Yes sorry a slip of the tongue. I last saw it at Bovy June 2000, why did it go to Scotland? wasn't it interesting enough for the Tank Museum :dunno: It's as if the RAC didn't use wheeled armour, its always tanks :cry: :cry:

Clive,

I have just come back to me, that version was known as Panga, the turret made by Peak as already pointed out. I would think it was only a trial vehicle in British service, believe it was a mod. aimed at export market. Also remembered the Mexico contract, the new turrets proposed for them were to have 25mm McDonnell Douglas chain gun fitted.

Richard

Hi Guys.

Anyone know where to go when Bovvie does not have the vehicle record.

I have FOX 01 GM 00 which had been misregistered as 01 CM 00 in the past but I still cannot find a service record ?

All the best

Mark