Interesting Scimitar

sirhc

It started out it's life as a Scorpion(the hull) and was probably converted to a Sabre and it is now a Scimitar.

Tony and myself come across these every so often when we are roaming the Plain. Here is another example, I have the record cards for this one and it confirms that it was a Scorpion, then a Sabre before being struck off in 2005, as you can see it has returned as a Scimitar !!

This one belongs to the QRL and was photographed in April 2011.

DSC07045.jpg

It started out it's life as a Scorpion(the hull) and was probably converted to a Sabre and it is now a Scimitar.

I have to confess I looked at the VRN and thought "04FD: nothing unusual there for a Scimitar" but only after the answer did I notice how low the second number pair was, so I guess you are right and suppose it was one of the last (of the main tranche of) Scorpions.

Round of applause to those who got it right.

So - maybe it's a stupid question - why did they bother? Couldn't make their mind up?!

The Scimitars have been in constant use for 30 years, a lot of the hulls are in a poor state with cracking etc. They kept some of the best Sabre hulls to use to re-hull the Scimitars which were beyond economic repair. I'm guessing with Scimitar 2 coming along they are getting rid of some of the good Sabre hulls now too in the latest tender.

Chris