After blasting and Kurust treatment is Primer Needed?

Rover8FFR

I had some items for the lightweight blasted recently to bare steel.. Applied Kurust treatment and saw a physical chemical change in steel parts.

Question is! Does the rust barrier work in the same way as a primer or is a primer still required before top coats......

I suspect some would say modern red oxide is just glorified red paint & lacks all the toxic goodies that used to be incorporated. Be that as it may I just use DIY store red oxide.

As you know I have been needle scaling the Shorland. Some 25 years ago I wire brushed much of it & painted on red oxide. This time I have removed all that & I don't think I have found any active rust under those areas. The rust that has occurred is in the areas I did not paint where I had relied on the original yellow chromate primer for protection.

But of course the red oxide of 25 years ago may not be the same as available nowadays ;)

I suspect some would say modern red oxide is just glorified red paint & lacks all the toxic goodies that used to be incorporated. Be that as it may I just use DIY store red oxide.

But of course the red oxide of 25 years ago may not be the same as available nowadays ;)

There is no doubt in my mind that current 'red oxide' is not worth the writing on the can.

30 years ago I was buying 5 gal drums of ex Mod Red Oxide and they were so heavy it took two of you to lift the drum, stuff I painted then has no signs of rust to this day they had a high lead and high varnish content, what it has done to me spraying without the aid of modern charcoal masks remains to be seen.... I can still count to ten and recognise a jeep at 30 paces so I may be lucky although some who know me probably will say it explains a lot !!.

Seriously though I think there are now two ways to go either use an etch primer and a gloss undercoat or use a zinc rich primer and a gloss undercoat.

Pete

There is no doubt in my mind that current 'red oxide' is not worth the writing on the can.

30 years ago I was buying 5 gal drums of ex Mod Red Oxide and they were so heavy it took two of you to lift the drum, stuff I painted then has no signs of rust to this day they had a high lead and high varnish content, what it has done to me spraying without the aid of modern charcoal masks remains to be seen.... I can still count to ten and recognise a jeep at 30 paces so I may be lucky although some who know me probably will say it explains a lot !!.

Seriously though I think there are now two ways to go either use an etch primer and a gloss undercoat or use a zinc rich primer and a gloss undercoat.

Pete

Pete the bits I have had blasted recently were either hot gas zinc sprayed and then received Leighs Paints Epoxy Red Primer (exposed parts) or were epoxy on blasted parts (semi exposed or internal / covered).

The high pack epoxy primers are what is used on steelwork in buildings now so very tough.

I asked as I thought the Kurust would act as a primer, but with all these vehicles I suspect the better the prep the more protected the parts will be.

I guess the proof will be in the results in a few years.

Sad thing is that Red Lead was the wonder product paint wise.............There must be something out there that is close to the old super primer?????