Rapier FAST Trailer

I was given an envelope of photos by BAe of a development of the Rapier trailer. Just posted some on the 101 and EMLRA forum, thought they would be of interest here as well.

There's around 20 photos but I've scanned 6, the rest are all similar. They show what a new out of the box trailer looked like and it's one being kitted out to recover Rapier B1 generators, basically anything gloss green or yellow isn't standard. I don't know whether BAe were doing it for their own internal use or if it was for the MOD, whatever, it's typically over engineered! The photos were taken in 1981 and they refer to it as a FAST Trailer.

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic4.jpg

Pic5.jpg

Pic6.jpg

They can be fun enough just to hang on the back of the launcher.

Oh come on Tony I could put mine on on my own there was a knack to it. It was that dam Data cable. In the mud and rain that was a Bu****r to roll up. Also did you know if you switch on Rapier any where in the world it will rain (well it did for us even in the desert) never had a dry exercise.:D

Question: I have always wondered what the approx 4" dia holes are on each side the the side panels are for on rapier trailers.

There are Two to each side.

Doe's anyone know what their purpose is at all? Just curious!..................:wow:

There are variuos holes, if you mean the ones in front of the push handle, that's where the handle clips over the top for transport, and for the dolly wheels to swing up.

The other joy in the **** rain and mud, is trying to get the wheels back on the launcher and the support legs up and locked.

Oh come on Tony I could put mine on on my own there was a knack to it. It was that dam Data cable. In the mud and rain that was a Bu****r to roll up. Also did you know if you switch on Rapier any where in the world it will rain (well it did for us even in the desert) never had a dry exercise.:D

We only rolled out the data cable once on the group's launcher, never did it again!! We also only deployed the launcher and Blindfire for shows and in the sunshine as well and never in a hurry! As the one who did the most towing it was usually me that checked everything was put back together properly. I think it's 4 years or so since any of it's been out, suspect we've lost the knack of doing it now.

I think the holes in the side of the reload trailer are for strapping the missile tubes down when there isn't a full load on board.

There are variuos holes, if you mean the ones in front of the push handle, that's where the handle clips over the top for transport, and for the dolly wheels to swing up.

The other joy in the **** rain and mud, is trying to get the wheels back on the launcher and the support legs up and locked.

No Tony, the clue is in the WORDS, 'SIDE', & 'SIDE PANELS' Mate! They are visible in one of the photo's..........:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
I was given an envelope of photos by BAe of a development of the Rapier trailer. Just posted some on the 101 and EMLRA forum, thought they would be of interest here as well.

There's around 20 photos but I've scanned 6, the rest are all similar. They show what a new out of the box trailer looked like and it's one being kitted out to recover Rapier B1 generators, basically anything gloss green or yellow isn't standard. I don't know whether BAe were doing it for their own internal use or if it was for the MOD, whatever, it's typically over engineered! The photos were taken in 1981 and they refer to it as a FAST Trailer.

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic4.jpg

Pic5.jpg

Pic6.jpg

I'm looking to buy one of these trailers to use as sleeping accompdation at shows, the idea is to tow it behind my saracen, with all my kit in it. Then set up 9x9 behind it for cooking/eating purposes, and sleep in the trailer. What sort of money can I expect to pay for one of them in useable condition? - I don't mind a little bit of work, as long as the canopy is in good condition, and the brakes work....

• 1 year later...
Question: I have always wondered what the approx 4" dia holes are on each of the side panels are for on rapier trailers.

There are Two to each side.

Doe's anyone know what their purpose is at all? Just curious!..................:wow:

Did anyone ever answer this question? (If so, my search didn't find it.)

Having just bought a Rapier trailer, I would like to know as well:???

I wonder whether they are to check if the trailer is empty, when a tilt is fitted?

Anybody got a better idea?:idea:

John