4x4 Katy in 'Ice Cold In Alex'

N.O.S.

Just caught the last 20 minutes of this film - great stuff as always.

Two ambulances were used - a 4 x 2 and a 4 x 4. The front driven axle and propshaft from the transfer box (which featured heavily) seem to appear and disappear almost constantly during the journey!

Was there ever such a beast as the 4 x 4 K2, or was it just a special for the film?

I think they just fitted a CMP front axle and transfer box to a standard K2 for the film.

I saw the film today and agree the front axle is CMP looking at the hubs. Not sure, but I'm thinking it's a Chev axle. Good film, though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053935/trivia

The Austin K2 Ambulance used was actually four wheel drive and had presumably been converted for the movie using a front axle and wheels from a Canadian Military Pattern truck along with a transfer box and prop shafts. The hubs are slightly different to that on a normal K2 and the differential housing of the live axle can be seen on some shots. It was probably changed so it could extricate itself more easily in the shots where it was bogged down. There's seems to have been 2 Austin K2s used for "Katy" as in some shots it has the driven front axle and in others the original beam axle fitted to these vehicles.

I saw john mills on a chat show some years ago and he said the scene at the end when he downs a lager in one go had to have a few takes and he was quite merry at the end, how good does sylvia sims look in that film I love all these old brit war films they are a bit corny at times but great o watch its my age I suppose it was such a different time then, and I am new to this site but great work to all you restorers you are a brave bunch but there are some great restored motors on here well done, fredm

I saw john mills on a chat show some years ago and he said the scene at the end when he downs a lager in one go had to have a few takes and he was quite merry at the end, how good does sylvia sims look in that film I love all these old brit war films they are a bit corny at times but great o watch its my age I suppose it was such a different time then, and I am new to this site but great work to all you restorers you are a brave bunch but there are some great restored motors on here well done, fredm

:D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053935/trivia

In the bar scene in Alexandria, John Mills was drinking real beer because ginger ale and other substitutes didn't look real enough on film. In the final cut (the 14th take) he actually was quite drunk.

• 8 years later...

I have been told by a former work colleague the there were  3 original K2's used for the film, one of which is still a runner and preserved by the Ambulance heritage. This one was also used in the 1969 Batlle of Britain movie.For a few years it was kept in storage at Kingsmill ambulance station in Nottinghamshire. Every time I ended up there, I would spend some time having a  look or sitting in the Katie.

I found this:

The Austin K2 ambulance used was four wheel drive, and had presumably been converted for the movie using a front axle and wheels from a Canadian Military Pattern truck, along with a transfer case and prop drive shafts. The hubs are slightly different to that on a normal K2, and the differential housing of the live axle can be seen on some shots. It was probably changed so it could extricate itself more easily in the shots where it was bogged down. There's seems to have been two Austin K2s used for "Katy", as in some shots, it has the driven front axle, and in others, the original beam axle fitted to these vehicles.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

hi Snowy

Later wartime Ambulances in the M.E. had the bridge plate changed to 5 tons,as they carried a lot more stuff.Circa 1943 so after Tobruk,

136403434_845386732906493_3593416441704266200_o.thumb.jpg.0f9905fe097a4dba93ce0727551a209e.jpg

these c1941 (contract A.1445) model Austin K2Y ambulances,

roundels not used after 1944, these ambulance's have camonetting supports fitted that came in c1943.and larger cross.

It the film there are quite a lot of errors,

the chassis is and Austin Chassis, its only the axles and transfer box that are are from a chevrolet (Blitz)C8A/X, see the hyde park pics above.