if you know its military roll no ( mod number plate in the form of 02 bd 10 ect ) the rlc at princess royal barracks deepcut may help but be warned they will keep the £25 search fee if they dont find anything they did with me

im reskining the doors on my mk 1 and found a very faded stencil on the inside of the nearside door stating y sqn lad phone york ****** you may be lucky if your doors are unmolested good luck andy

does anyone know of its history as we know very little at the mo?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi

where are you in Sussex, we are new Explorer owners in Sussex Also, Nr Billingshurst.

mark

Hi Mark, we hide in Findon Valley. We saw ur video of you bringing Thor home. We had a look around Thor at GDSF this year. You bagged urself a nice truck and trailer. What are your plans for exhibiting local next year? We do all the local ones with our Thornycroft brewers lorry, Bedford bakers van and Morris commercial. I recognised the road you live on so ur not far from us. Do you have any or much experience with the explorers?

DSCF3999.jpg

Hi

we have no Scammell experience whatsoever... so in at the deepend.

we're planning on all of the local shows, the only other will be the GDSF.

We also have a Reo M35A2 for any a bit further afield as its faster and being the multifuel, cheaper to run.

often if the weather is ok, we,ve done a few runs out on a Sunday for lunch, i dont think it does them good to sit through the winter without being used.

having trouble with the drum winch not working at all, so that may be this weekends job if the weather is kind.

nice photo, looks like Amberley. my dad has a Plaxton Bedford OB that he used to do the london to brighton in, may have to try and talk him into bringing that along to a few shows.

mark

does anyone know of its history as we know very little at the mo?

Hi, yes known of your Explorer for quite a few years, somewhere i have some pictures of it loading another explorer for me must be 15 years ago now, from the chap i think called Mark who Kevin/ Big Steve bought her from. prior to that she was a Sussex motor for many years, the engine conversion was one of the first of its size as in larger horsepower when in the ownership of Michael Harris from North Chailey, i would guess that was 22 to 25 years ago!

Thanks for the info John. Would be great to see some old pics of it. We contacted Mark shortly after we bought it and he was going to find us out some pics and info, must remind him. Do you know who did the engine conversion and where?

We were told that it did a lot of off road mud pit action and i found a lot of evidence of that in the bottom of the sump, it would be great to shed some light on that. Which Explorer have you got?

Were in the same boat as you Mark. We have very little experience but its suprising how much you can learn from pulling the engine out. Were lucky to have found some very knowledgeable and experienced friends to guide us and shine the torch in the right direction. Did you manage to sort the winch out?

Hi,

Had a play with the jib winch, which seems ok, just some grease here and there, i had some tips from the Ian the previous owner, very helpful, sounds like the drum sticks, so a little nudge with a bar needed.

i hate these dark wet evenings, having to wait until the weekend to fiddle, in the process of refitting the living van, i bought a crash damaged caravan and now in the process of fitting it all in. i could do with being retired or have a few months paid holiday to get all the jobs done.

hows your engine install going, pretty major work...

The 290 engine that was in her was a rear mounted sump to fit over the axle where as the new 220 is a front sump. This is where it gets long winded..

Our sump had a punch hole in the pan from the con rod being nosy so off to Blakers for an 18 hour repair, well done to Jenny for picking up the pieces strewn 100 yards up the Alton Road. Shes very thorough! It made the patching up easier.

The oil extension pipes (7/8 and 1" od) for the rear mounted oil pick up were both smashed so after searching for new pipes we finally found 6 metre lengths for £40 + each or 1 metre lengths for £8 ebay. they sent 28mm instead of 25mm so lost a weekend cos of that. Stripped out the oil gallery pipes and have not been able to buy the correct o rings as of yet - no longer made apparently but luckily we have salvaged enough good ones to re use. after cleaning the various bearing connections and replacing another two oil pipes we are nearly there. now all we need is a heat wave and a brighter moon to work by and it might get rebuilt. averaging about 4 hours a week at the mo due to work and lack of light!:nut:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Had a play with the jib winch, which seems ok, just some grease here and there, i had some tips from the Ian the previous owner, very helpful, sounds like the drum sticks, so a little nudge with a bar needed.

i hate these dark wet evenings, having to wait until the weekend to fiddle, in the process of refitting the living van, i bought a crash damaged caravan and now in the process of fitting it all in. i could do with being retired or have a few months paid holiday to get all the jobs done.

hows your engine install going, pretty major work...

I would rather fit a engine than woodwork:-)

• 2 months later...

Hi Mark

Sorry about the long absence. I'ts been too bloody cold and dark so i decided to hold fire at the mo. Hopefully this weekend will grace us with some sunshine and i can restart. Gotta get the sump on and then take off the power steering unit off the 220 as it's not needed............ well at the mo at least, I'll stick with the air as it's more authentic. After that it's a cranky strap or two, 24volts and a drop of the taxmans finest. can't wait. hope yours is treating you well, we'll have to meet up sometime!

Paul:beer:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

meeting sounds good to me.

i havent done anything to the living van since the cold weather arrived, seems like its been winter forever....

started the Scammell last weekend for the first time in about 4 months, surprisingly the batteries have held up ok in the cold, lots and lots of black smoke, has made me a bit keener to get it uncovered and take it out for a little run to the pub in the next few weeks.

hope youre getting on ok with yours

rgds

mark

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark,

sorry for the long absence, it's been a case of working more to fuel the hobby tank. I've started on the engine again and completed the bottom end. I've got to make a plate up to cover the power steering pump and fit the oil cooler extension bars. Got the new oil filters so i should be there soon. Now the weather appears to be on our side it should be all systems go. Stick the new clutch and housing on and a bit of blue grey on the inner chassis rails and engine back in. We did the HCVS London to Brighton on Sunday with the Thornycroft, Morris and the Bedford. Brilliant day out and fantastic weather. Have you booked the Scammell into any shows yet? Did you enter for Dorset if so did you get a reply recently?

Paul :beer: