Triumph 3sw ..missing bits ...help

jenkinov

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

F&F in Belgium is selling those triumph fieldstand clips.

there website in in Dutch but they speak perfect English ;)

Nice, they also have knee rubbers. I had John Bull No. 25 on my tank.

Under the gearbox I found this paint. I have seen restored WD motorcycles painted in similar shades of this brownish colour, could this be a choice for a 1940 machine?

2w5851z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for the NOS girder fork and Triumph manuals to arrive. How are the chances to find the main shaft connecting fork and frame? Is this a 3sw-only-part or was the same part used in other Triumphs?

Oliver

10xtuua.jpg

All the pre war light weight Triumph forks from about 1938 are the same. 3HW are different, they are Webb forks. Be aware of Indian forks bearing the description "New Old Stock" unless you like hospital food.......It's bollocks!

Ron

Hello, this is a picture of a 3sw that I had but now sold to a neighbour. The colour match cane from the back off the primary chain case where there was still some original paint left .

IMG_0551.jpg

But the paint we use was a bit to shiny, but now after more than 5 years it aged very well.

(Bike has not al original bits but it is a good runner)

Guy

Ron, I hope my fork, if it ever arrives, has started its life in the UK. And I am talking about the part located in Europe.

I hope that Mr. Whitley is still alive and well, even if I wonder why the last post is from 2012: http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=349145&page=1

Guy, tell your neighbour to lock it away until I have found all missing fork parts. And rear stand. And tool box. I have still my problems of choosing a colour.

Is there an explanation why there is an oliv green colour on this Norton fuel tank preserved by the rubber pads? According to the text this fuel tank is a Dunkirk survivor. Isn´t this a oliv green basecoat overpainted with Khaki Green?

http://www.wdnorton.nl/Interesting%20original%20parts.htm

Oliver

Oh dear! It doesn't bode well for Mr Whitely! All that power and Indian made lightweight forks!!! The pre war Triumph twins (500cc Speedtwin and Tiger 100) used a much heavier fork.

Ah I see you have been looking at Rob Van Den Brinks Norton site. It's what I said earlier about paint colour debates. One firms Khaki Green could be miles away from another firms, and possibly close to Olive Green. But you would need to see that tank in the flesh for a true comparison.

I have varied the shades in my shed by mixing Olive green and service brown in formulas of 50/50 25/75 and 75/25 until I like what I see. It's sort of a 'Goose Turd Green by Moonlight' colour.

Ron

Edited by Ron

This Royal Enfield from 1940 was hand painted black when I got it. But it had lots of original paint inside covers/lids/brake plate etc. I boast about how accurately I matched it.

And see the Olive Green on the truck behind. Ron

WDL 148.jpg

WDL 150.jpg

collection 061.jpg

Edited by Ron

Ron, do the last three pictures show the same bike? Just inside/flashside and natural lighting differences?

Still hoping to find "original paint" on my Triumph frame when removing the engine. I seem to be the only owner of an allied WWII motorcycle in the area where I live ("Einbeck Bowl" was a BAOR term for a potential attack route for russian tanks in the 1970s and 1980s). One large car/motorcycle museum will open this year in Einbeck, but most likely without any military stuff, to avoid negative reactions. By the way, there is a BSA folding bicycle ("early civilian production") and a french "Captain Gerard" military folding bicycle from about 1896 in the local town museum.

Oliver

Yes Oliver it's all the same bike. It's why I posted the three pictures to give a view in different lights. Again only in the flesh can you see it correctly. But you can see the difference with the Olive Green. Khaki is that sort of more Buff colour of battle dress. Ron

I photographed that Norton tank and the colour under the kneepads was definitely KG No.3 but slightly oxidised. The pigments were not stable and the colour changed on exposure to air and light.

The best example that I found of the 1939 colour was where it had been trapped between my brake drums and hubs. In effect an air-tight cavity for seventy-odd years. It could still have degraded though.

Fronthubclose_zps0102c3f7.jpg

As Ron says, it's an odd colour. Brownish in some lights, greenish in others but most definitely not olive drab.

It looks as if Mr Whitely lost his nerve with the Indian girders and found an unsuspecting mug.

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=508284&Searchpage=3&Main=46878&Words=girder&Search=true#Post508284

Those Indian made forks are poor copies of the 3HW Web forks, and I wouldn't want to risk the power and weight of a 350 OHV, let alone the big twin lump. Even if those were genuine Triumph forks, they are still to light for the bike. And now he's passed his vast knowledge and expertise onto some other poor potential patient! Ron

As Ron says, it's an odd colour. Brownish in some lights, greenish in others but most definitely not olive drab.

It is a indeed an odd colour, as I have failed to find anything close like that in any paint system, online or printed. The few remnants of paint that I have found so far on the frame are more or less similiar to this green:

http://www.blancoandbull.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/10-4673-11a.jpg

Well, I seem to have a lot of time to search for that colour as the attachments to screw the fork to the frame seem to be hard to find. My 3sw fork has finally arrived and I seem to be on the safe side with it.

Oliver

It is a indeed an odd colour, as I have failed to find anything close like that in any paint system, online or printed. The few remnants of paint that I have found so far on the frame are more or less similiar to this green:

http://www.blancoandbull.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/10-4673-11a.jpg

Well, I seem to have a lot of time to search for that colour as the attachments to screw the fork to the frame seem to be hard to find. My 3sw fork has finally arrived and I seem to be on the safe side with it.

Oliver

You're right, it is indeed close to No.97 Khaki Blanco. Flash photography does odd things and is now making it all look yellow...

Blanco_zpsb4dd060f.jpg

Here a picture of THE knob (to avoid funny comments) seems to be of the cast variety, 8 pounds plus postage will do, or can give to someone in the UK in the near future.

WP_000836.jpg

Re. Khaki green No.3 if you use Mike Starmers excellent formula of model paint you'll have the exact colour, and can make some sprayed samples;

Khaki Green No. 3/ G3/ “Service Colour”

Mix: Revell 361+ 360 + 84 in ratios 12:5:7. Not easy but the only way yet. This is matched to two 1939 original equipment samples and a replicated 1941 sample.

In use: 1938 – 42. The new basic colour until replaced in 1942 by S.C.C. 2.

Love that colour!!

WP_002513.jpg

Cheers,

Lex

I hope Peter kept an eye looking for my missing 3sw fork parts in Holland :D

On 23.July a new motorcycle and car museum will open in my hometown (Einbeck), on the other side of the Weser river, 50 km to the east from Vahlbruch.

German text and yet no vehicle pictures:

http://www.ps-speicher.de/neuigkeiten.php

1070483.jpg

I was aware that the Luftwaffe had something to do with the end of the 3sw production, but not that they landed in Coventry and took them with them.

Not helpful for choosing a colour, but at least a wartime colour picture

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germany---Air/Fieseler-Fi-156...-Storch/1070483/M/

Edited by Einbeck Bowl