GPMG in a Ferret

Catch 22 LBDR

I wonder is there anywhere I can buy a barrel with out the rest of the Gpmg?

ILLEGAL at this moment in time!!!!

However.........It's in the pipeline to Pass Deact Barrels at London in the future (DONT know when!) Birmingham has already done it & opened the door. Only a matter of time I guess?.............

Brens have been done already & ZB26's. Once London fall in line, ANY Barrel can in THEORY be passed when deactivated to Spec & then Certified.

Trying to get a definative answer from the london Proof master is like trying to get Petrol Tax reduced by the Goverment!...:mad:

TOTALY WRONG shape Flash hider for the variant you need Im afraid.

It SHOULD have a 'Cone' Shaped version for the L37, which was what was utilised in the Ferret & Fox.

That sounds right to me. I suspect L37 was also fitted to Scimitar while L43 was fitted to Scorpion. I always wondered why two so-similar vehicles fitted different models of GPMG.

Edit: and istr the L43 also had a cone-shaped flash hider.

That sounds right to me. I suspect L37 was also fitted to Scimitar while L43 was fitted to Scorpion. I always wondered why two so-similar vehicles fitted different models of GPMG.

Alien, It was to do with Ballistic range differencials. The L37 had a Three position Gas Regulator. The L43 had a FIXED version. That adjusted itself with heat expansion. The L43 had a REMOVABLE Flash hider held in place with a thin circlip. It LOOKED almost identical to the L7A2 LMG Ground role variant. but was DIFFERENT.

I have a deac L37 mounted in my Ferret - the mounting is currently in peices as it is awaiting derusting - will post pictures later if still interested

it would be rare to get a deac less than £2,000 at the moment and very rare to find an L37 rather than the L7 infantry version

• 2 months later...
he might, u try finding a 7.62 lmg mount for a mk1/2, gpmg mounts might be easier to find as bit more current and u have mount but gun is still 2500 pounds ish

Did you have wander round the stalls at Beltring last year (I'm presuming you did) someone was selling replica metal GPMG's which looked extremely good and for good money as well. Pity I lost the flyer I wanted two but that went for a burton with the flyer:mad:

Haven't bean to War and Peace for a few years now, the Irish ferry hop makes the trip quite costly. But I am seriously considering a nice replica 7.62 for my ferret, Andy. I can (I think) get a 30cal at the right price so a nice cheep mount for it could be the way to go.

Haven't bean to War and Peace for a few years now, the Irish ferry hop makes the trip quite costly. But I am seriously considering a nice replica 7.62 for my ferret, Andy. I can (I think) get a 30cal at the right price so a nice cheep mount for it could be the way to go.

Hopefully I can find the company that makes the replica GPMG's at War and Peace this year. Browning mounts aren't cheap it tends to be the GPMG mounts that are cheaper than the Browning turret mounts.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, this is the Correct shape of flash hider that you need. Note, NO foresite Block, which is CORRECT for a turret mounted/Internaly Mounted GPMG Variant.

Notice also, that the gas regulator know is a different shape to the Ground role (LMG) variant. it is ALSO fitted with a Buffer Housing, rather than a Butt assembly used in the ground role. As I Mentioned previously.

Was the hand grip and trigger housing removed to fit it into the gun mount??

Andy, I think these are the guy's you saw at War&Peace. http://www.military-muckabouts.webs.com/

I sent them an email to find out if they do the l37 variant for the turret. will post up what they say.

In the meantime I would love to see some pic's of how the GPMG fits into the mount.:D

Sweet I'll be looking them up at W&P thanks for finding the link :-)

Does anyone have any pic's or drawings of the buffer housing on the back of the GPMG when fitted in its mount, also was the trigger housing removed when being fitted??

The Trigger Housing is NOT removed when fitting in a Ferret. I think you MAY be refering to the L8 Variant, which had a differnt trigger mech. This was for the Chieften, a ranging co-axilly mounted gun.

The scorpion had a solinoid operated mech, & differnt barrel as well. That variant was dedicated to the Scorpion ONLY.

Basicaly, the L37 is a standard GPMG body, barrel has a Coned Flash Hider, Different Gas adjusting knob & a Buffer housing rather than a Butt assembly.

Thanks Guys.

I sent an e-mail to Military muckabouts, They have said they can make a replica for me but need pictures to go off, I sent them a good pic of the barrel but I need one of the Buffer Housing.

Let me know if you get anywhere with it maybe you could ask if anyone else wants a GPMG for the turret lower the price bulk buy? I would be up for one if I'm really flush maybe two :-D

This was for the Chieften, a ranging co-axilly mounted gun.

The GPMG was a coaxially mounted gun, but was simply an anti-infantry / soft-skin weapon: ranging was performed using bursts of three (solenoid controlled) from the .5" Browning which was ballistically similar in flight to the main gun. However trace burn-out on the five-oh was a lot shorter than the ranges you wanted from the 120, so they got Barr and Stroud to design the laser rangefinder.

I don't know (was never a Chieftain gunner) what range was trace burn-out on the five-oh; trace burn-out on the GPMG was 1100m (if the trace ignited in a hot barrel, it was 900m).

EARLY L37 had a cone shaped flash hider. Later it became paralell as in the supplied photo.

The L43 for scorp had a NORMAL locking Flash Eliminator that LOOKED the same as the L7A2 Ground role gun.

It wasnt quite the same. It screwed on by hand & had NO twin flats on the side for a spanner to tighten it.

It had a small countersunk hole in the side, & was retained on the barrel with a spring clip.

It had to unscrewed to enter the mantlet from the inside up to the halfway point on it's barrel bearing.

Was also solinoid fired.

Edited by ferretfixer

• 1 month later...
I have a deac L37 mounted in my Ferret - the mounting is currently in peices as it is awaiting derusting - will post pictures later if still interested

it would be rare to get a deac less than £2,000 at the moment and very rare to find an L37 rather than the L7 infantry version

I know this is a bit late did you ever manage to take any pictures of the L37 version of the GPMG?